Huge Tank - Big Mistake ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I recently went to this 'retail' store with a really huge aquarium inside.

The tank had Largemouth Bass, Snook, Garfish, Tarpon, Channel Bass (known as REDFISH here..), Black Drum, Bluegill, Speckled Perch (Crappie) and, Garfish, freshwater Catfish.

The Bass, and other Freshwater fish did not apear too "happy" with the 'water conditions'...

The mix is wrong - and it seems, no one cares..

Last edited:

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
do all you can do... tell them to fix it, and if they dont want to... then you cant do anything about it since it's their fishtank, and fish are looked at as property more than animals...

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
125gJoe

Where is it? 2 in store measured complaints are better than 1!

Joanna

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Sounds like a "native" fish tank. Check around and see what the laws are governing the keeping of those different types of fish in that state.

Some states do not allow keeping native or endangered or restricted species in an unlicensed aquarium.

Roan

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
What do you mean they didn't appear "too" happy? Don't jump to conclusions to quickly. Many of the native fish displays that I have seen the fish don't move a lot. Appearing to be unhappy, and I highly doubt that a retail store would be breaking laws concerning native fish. You would be surprised how closely regulated those things are.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Was this "retail store" one who specializes in fishing supplies?? It sounds really familiar to me.
Like everyone said complain but offer suggestions of what would be more appropriate. Spread a little honey with the vinegar and they may respond better and if it truly bothers you...offer to help them with the tank and choosing appropriate tank mates.
Unfortunately people can throw goldfish in tropical tanks, pacus in five gallons, and inappropriate fish in any tank. It isn't against the law.

msouth468

Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
If it is a retail store that specializes in Fishinig/outdoor supplies. Then I wouldn't worry about it. They know what they are doing, and most likely the state DNR is keeping an eye on them.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
msouth468 said:
If it is a retail store that specializes in Fishinig/outdoor supplies. Then I wouldn't worry about it. They know what they are doing, and most likely the state DNR is keeping an eye on them.

I know most of the Bass Pro Shops have HUGE tanks with game fish in them....that's what made me wonder if it wasn't one of them. :huh:

msouth468

Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
mykidsmylife said:
I know most of the Bass Pro Shops have HUGE tanks with game fish in them....that's what made me wonder if it wasn't one of them. :huh:
Cabela's has them to. Sometimes the mix doesn't seem right, but if the fish are well fed they don't care about each other to much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store