HybridHerps 75 Gallon Tank (High Tech Planted Tank, with an assortment of fish)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I dose EI, with some added iron, but it's iron doesn't make plants red, it's strictly lights and good nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I was advised that red plants need iron supplementation in most cases, to keep the red color. This isn't true?

I guess it's also possible that I'm misremembering what my LFS told me. It was literally years ago.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Just wanted to say, I absolutely LOVE your tank!!! It looks very natural but at the same time well 'scaped in my opinion. Your albino senegal bichir is adorable and that is an awesome close up of your beautiful farowella cat! :)

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
Well, I hear from the experts such as Tom Barr that extra iron does not make more reds. Plants need iron but it is a trace element, it's nothing when compared to good co2 and proper lighting.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I wasn't trying to say extra iron creates more red. I was more saying that insufficient iron could allow the red fade, in spite of sufficient carbon/lighting. But, like I said earlier, I could be misremembering the details of that conversation I had.

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
I wasn't trying to say extra iron creates more red. I was more saying that insufficient iron could allow the red fade, in spite of sufficient carbon/lighting. But, like I said earlier, I could be misremembering the details of that conversation I had.
Oh, okay that makes sense. I think though that most people add more iron than really needed....once everything has grown in more I will experiment with that.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It's just a possibility, and, to reiterate, I may have misunderstood what the folks at my LFS were trying to tell me. I wasn't ready to dedicate to ferts, so I had already decided to stay away from the pretty red plants, and didn't give my full attention. And since I didn't try to put anything I was told to use, I may well be misremembering.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I do think that you are both right though. Iron, while needed, isn't going to automatically produce red colors (especially if light/CO2 are still limiting)...but it's still a micro that should be added in trace amounts.

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
Just wanted to say, I absolutely LOVE your tank!!! It looks very natural but at the same time well 'scaped in my opinion. Your albino senegal bichir is adorable and that is an awesome close up of your beautiful farowella cat! :)

I've had that sen for at least 5 years now, really like having the little guy around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store