Hypothetical Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Well it could probably live in a 15 or 20gal but I think it would be absolutely miserable. you could probably do ok in a 30gal, I'd go for a 40 breeder at minimum IMO.

kjbrat

AC Members
Feb 19, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I had mine in a 20 long for almost a year, and he was with two clowns. I know this was small but he never had any issues. However, since we recently upgraded to a 75 gallon he has been noticeably much happier, eats more, has gained weight, and has a bit more personality.

IMO, it would be best to do at least a 30 gallon at minimum. Another concern with flames (and most angels) is the increased risk of HLLE, so make sure you fully research its dietary needs and provide it with what is necessary to keep it healthy and happy. They are super cool fish, I love mine, good luck!

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
Ok, nevermind then. I really love those flame angels, but I wanted to (someday) get one of those little nanos. I was thinking around 15g. So I'll have to find another gorgeous fish that will be compatible in something that's 10-15g, if such a fish even exists in SW.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
There are plenty of really nice nano fish available. Several of the clown gobies, the neon gobies for sure, the Catalina goby is a beautiful one, various firefish, or the ocellaris clowns are generally accepted as fish that do well in nano tanks in the 10-20gal range. Obviously not all those fish in one tank, you'd have to be pretty picky about your stock, but there are plenty of options.

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
It would most likely be just one little beauty, and I'd leave it at that. In general, do gobies and firefish run around on the bottom and hide, or do they swim around? I do like those little ocellaris clownfish, and I also really like the yellowhead jawfish: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=188

What other requirements are there for maintaining a small nano (in terms of critters)? I know that people keep 'cleaner crews' with snails/shrimps/etc. Is this a necessary addition in salt water?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
My firefish tends to hang out smack in the middle of the tank. If it get spooked it zips behind the rocks and pops its head out once in a while, but for the most part it kind of hovers around out in the open. Gobies tend to stick to the bottom of the tank, in crevices and caves and such. Clownfish are always a good time. They're, well, clowns. :x

Jawfish are really interesting, you just need a deep (4-6") substrate so they can burrown properly. For the most part they just kind of hover right at the mouth of their cave, so not a fish you're likely to see zipping all over the tank.

I've never had a nano, but most that I've seen usually contain some manner of cleanup crew. A few hermits, some snails, maybe a sally lightfoot crab or emerald crab would suffice. The only other thing you have to really keep an eye on, once the tank is established, is salinity, because with such a small amount of tank volume, a small amount ov evaporation can throw your params out of whack fairly quickly.

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
Yes you are right about keeping an eye on evaporation. I've heard that before about small marine tanks.

I still have a lot to learn about it before I take the leap. I'm still disappointed about the flame angels, as I think they are my all-time favorite fish (well, besides bettas that is, lol). But I guess the main point of this thread is to find out what kind of fish can live in a small tank and if I like them. I think the little clown would be the way to go for me! Can a piece of coral live in one of these tanks too or is that too much stuff for a small tank?

Thanks for all your help!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Sure, you have some good options for corals as well. There are TONS of small zoanthids you can try, and maybe even some mushrooms. Green star polyps are an option, and perhaps some of the smaller gorgonians. One option to look at for nano tanks are the
biocubes, if you're not big on DIY since they come complete with all the stuff. You can set up a system from scratch for much less $$$ though. All I can say is do tons of reading before buying anything, both equipment and livestock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store