I accidentally murdered my red-white oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LOK

AC Members
Sep 7, 2006
While re-sealing my 125 i picked up..removing silicone and then using acetone to get residue off..

then after I sealed it I filled it half way with water to leak test.

it's been in the garage for a few days half full.

So a week or so i got a small red and white oranda to go with my bigger orange oranda and black moor

soon after all showed signs of ICH or some other bacteria.. i have been treating with salt and water changes.

last night I saw that the small red and white was nipping and chasing the bigger fish who looked very lethargic etc.

I had the bright idea of just putting the small red and white in the 125 gallon that was in the garage, i put a pump in it for some air

this morning he was dead. :(

my 11 year old said "Daddy, did you rinse it out good before putting the water in there for the leak test? it had acetone in it" i'm thinking the acetone leftovers probably got in the water and killed him

• Sad
Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Sorry for your loss!

Just in case it wasn't acetone related, which brand/type silicone did you use to reseal the aquarium?

LOK

AC Members
Sep 7, 2006
Sorry for your loss!

Just in case it wasn't acetone related, which brand/type silicone did you use to reseal the aquarium?
I used it before. .it's the Aqueous or something brand.. made for this purpose

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store