I. D. Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Just looking for an I. D. For this fish and compatibility with severums.

received_10155869985490626.jpeg

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
Its a normal color Jack Dempsey, Rocio octofasciatum.
They are usually bit rough to house with severums, but that depends on the personality of the fish, tanks size, and whether it has an alpha attitude(it does look like a male).

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
She says it's about 7" long. Housed in a 55 with two blood parrots, 2 tinfoil barbs and a couple others. She says it is pretty peaceful but I doubt I will chance it with me severums. I may just take the tin foils.

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
It may be peaceful, whether it would be that way in your tank is another story, much depends on the size and dynamic of your tank.
That said, normal JDs are one of my favorite Central (North)American cichlids, I have snorkeled with them in the Yucatan, and seeing them in nature has given me deep respect. They are usually found with large shoals of live bearers, they watch to gauge the threat of danger, and seldom stray from heir hide outs, though their spawning territories can be 4ft X 4ft X 4 ft.
They do very well with no other aggressive cichlids present, but often suffer a bit when with other robust cichlids around.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
JD is my guess. Same distinct markings/colorings. Beasty fish, man. They can be pups or wolverines. Kind of like pit bulls in a bizarre sort of fashion. It doesn't sound too aggressive, but don't risk your beauties. Blue acara are much different looking. I have wanted one for some time but my MTS is already 3 deep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store