I do not understand betta bowls

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Umm betta's in the wild live in rice paddies, yes. But rice paddies are huge. We seem to discuss this every so often here. Rice paddies aren't small puddles, though they are shallow by human standards.

As for what to keep in a betta bowl, how about goldfish crackers. They are transfat free.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I'm with D4...

I have put two of my betta in those small quart sized betta hexes...a temporary situation as I had to use the 10 divided I had them in to house some juvenile rams...well...

I used Echo-Complete as the substrate and added some small live plants....and those betta have been doing just fine in these tanks. Algae, not a problem...plants doing very well (I dose with excel)....betta...seems happy and healthy and haven't had an issue with either of them since being in there. And frankly...I don't change the water every day either...about once a week. I believe the plants are a big help here.

I keep a close eye on these little tanks..because they are so little....but the fish have room enough to swim around..granted, not as much as a larger tank..but enough that they don't look cramped. I do plan on moving them into larger quarters when I can...but for now......they're fine !

If someone wants to keep fish, but doesn't have the room for a larger tank...I see no problem with betta bowls....but...I would definitly recommend a good substrate and live plants and keeping them in a place where the water temp can remain fairly stable. I have 3 one gallon betta tanks in one of the cubbies on my computer desk. With the tanks surrounded on three sides, plus the shelf overhead....the temp in that little cubby stays pretty even...(I have thermometers in each of the tanks) A well thought out and carefully cared for smaller tank (say, at least one gallon) can work out rather well if you are conscienceous in your care. ;)

Last edited:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Ok, How about this (which would be better?): A 2.5 g tank with heater and filter, or a 5g tank (or even slightly bigger) with no filter/heater, but kept in a stable temp. room, and frequent water changes (and set up with established gravel, etc.)????

D4MI4N

AC Members
Jul 11, 2005
Boston
TKOS said:
Umm betta's in the wild live in rice paddies, yes. But rice paddies are huge. We seem to discuss this every so often here. Rice paddies aren't small puddles, though they are shallow by human standards.
My point about rice paddies is not volume, but quality. Have you seen a southeast asian rice paddie? Rice paddies in Japan, Korea, and northern China tend to be clearer, but in Laos, Viet Nam and Thailand, they are muddy as hell. The visibility is nil. A fish growing up in zero vis, suddenly transplanted into even 5 inches of clear water would think he could see for miles. As for water quality, please see previous post.

Tetras_Rule33

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Ontario Canada
Okay, lol but I feel like bringing this back. I don't see anything wrong in betta bowls if the fish is taken care of well. I mean they have thousands of bettas in stores everywhere in little cups that need anything better than that. A betta bowl or a nice big vase would be a lot better for a betta than those cups. So your saving one in a way from being a lot less stressed.

RUSH2112

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Bettas at Wal Mart have a pathetic life. Don't contribute to this and provide good filtraton, live plant and water changes. These are no less fish than tetras, chiclids ore goldfish for that matter.

Not a tree hugger, just don't like abuse

RUSH2112

jaenelle

Hopeful Beginner
Jun 25, 2005
Kansas
The smallest tank I would even consider putting a betta in is a 10-gallon. That's what one of mine is in, the other is in my 29. I just think bowls are cruel. Like PPs said, they provide the minimum needs but little else. I wouldn't do it if I could possibly avoid it by doing something better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store