I figured out my algae problem... but need a little more advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TonyW

AC Members
Jul 27, 2003
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hey gang! Thanks for all the advice in my other thread. I thought maybe I should start a new one, as I'm asking different questions now. ;) (Hope this is okay!)

So, it appears that I *DO* have an algae problem, and not some sort of fungus.

It looks almost exactly like the "fur algae" listed on page 893 of Baensch's "Aquarium Atlas Vol 1". A form of green algae. (The only difference is that it's not quite as green as the photo) It does NOT really resemble brush/red algae, thank goodness. It does appear to be growing on everything though... grrrr.

So, the solution for green algae is less light and not so much food, right? Plus doing the regular water changes... (should I do another one tonight or tomorrow? I just did about a 15% one a couple days ago. Keep in mind this is a relatively newly-established tank that hasn't cycled yet...)

Here is my big question...

I'm going away for the weekend on Friday night. Would it be advisable to take the light off the timer, and leave the tank "dark" for 2 days?

I'm also going to go out tomorrow night, and pick up some more plants...fast-growing ones as several folks have advised me. :)

Thanks for any advice you can offer! :D

Last edited:

Aquaskilz

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Unless you have live plants, I dont think the light is needed. Light is basically for our viewing pleasure. If you want to decrease the growth of algae decrease the time you have the light on. Once you get rid of most of the algae, use Algae Away weekly to control it. (I use the dry pac and mix water in the bottle they supply).

I wouldn't do a water change so soon, you want the bacteria to establish itself in the tank. This could take 30 dqays to cycle. If you want to speed the process, try using some Stress Coat.

PS If your aquarium is in a brightly lit room or near any sunlight, you may want to relocate it if you can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store