I found cory fry!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I didn't know my pandas laid eggs. Today I found one panda baby. That guy is only 2 mm long. I have two questions.

1. What should I feed the baby?
2. I have amano shrimps and other corys in the tank. Do they eat cory eggs?

mizukie

AC Members
Mar 9, 2011
not sure about the shrimp but corys will try to pick the eggs off the walls and eat em x..x my jullis had laid eggs and before i could get them out the others ate em ._.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
If they have more fry let me know. Very interested in buying some baby pandas!!! so cutie tootie!

Chrisk-K

Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
Plants in the tank make it difficult to spot fry if there are any more. I moved the little fella to a 5g tank and s/he is eating Hikari shrimp cuisine pellets!

Chrisk-K

Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
S/he is way too small to be photographed at this point :) I'll post a pic later.

Anyway, I've read that it takes 2 months for cory fry to grow big enough for regular food. Since I have only one baby in a 5g, I wonder if s/he will be OK all alone with no companion for 2 months. Unless I find other fry in my main tank, I guess I have no solution (sigh).

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
My pandas spawned a few weeks ago and I didn't realize it either till i saw mini pandas everywhere. One thing I've noticed about pandas that is different from other corys is that they seem to like to hide their spawns, I believe mine hid there in java moss, there was not any eggs on the tank walls.

He's probably big enough to eat whatever the other ones are eating. baby brine shrimp or microworms would be nice but not totally necessary.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
My pandas spawned a few weeks ago and I didn't realize it either till i saw mini pandas everywhere. One thing I've noticed about pandas that is different from other corys is that they seem to like to hide their spawns, I believe mine hid there in java moss, there was not any eggs on the tank walls.

He's probably big enough to eat whatever the other ones are eating. baby brine shrimp or microworms would be nice but not totally necessary.
My pandas almost always lay their eggs on the glass, near plants. I have not seen other fish (or amanos) eat the eggs, but I suppose it could happen. When I see the eggs, I move them to a small tank with a sponge filter and lots of plants and hope for the best. I've gone from having 4 pandas to having about 30.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store