I got a sun coral - pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
At any pharmacy?

saltyjane

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Check with your local pharmacy........they sometimes have them if you explain what you are looking for:)

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
i got one at CVS. it worked decent.

I moved my sun coral out into a bucket like the previous poster suggested. out of the 30 polyps about 6-7 ate. So it wasn't super successful but at least a few ate. Hopefully, they are getting better acclimated. When I put the sun coral back into my tank, my fire shrimp leaped onto it and started sticking their little clawhands down into the coral and stealing the food. what the heck!

saltyjane

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Try covering it with the top of a 1 liter pop bottle (cut off the top) or use one of those containers strawberries come in from the grocery store. Keeps the thiefs at bay:)

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
mine have def not opened up as much as in those pictures. about 2 opened like that. the rest hardly. hmmm... those 2 ate that opened though I can't wait. they are super cool

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
saltyjane Thanks for the link - that is amazing!

another question ... how do they excrete their waist? Is it obvious when you see it?
I guess what I am wondering is how much maintenance do they create?
I'm sure it's not like an Oscar ... right?

Is it difficult to clean it up? do you have to vacuum the tank every week.

Once the tank is cycled what kind of maintenance schedule does a person need to plan for?

Is the LFS type premixed salt water good enough or is it better to mix what is needed?

What about water evaporation?
Does it effect the coral if it gets a bit saltier because of evaporation?

I do seem to have a bit of an evaporation going on here ... summers are hot and winter is warmed with gas heat so it is dry air in the house.

Thanks!
Randy

saltyjane

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Hi Randy:)

As to how sun corals secrete their waste......it's not noticeable. After they eat a meal they sometimes expell a bit of their food but it is not enough to pollute your tank. Problem comes in when you try to feed the coral in mass.....like with a turkey baster. That's why I suggest a small test kit syringe to feed each polyp with cycopeeze. Frozen is best (not available in every area) but I have a friend that uses the freeze dried cyclops on hers and it does well. Once you get the coral to open, maintenance is no biggie except for the TIME it takes (minimum 4 times a week) to target feed the coral......and protect it from opportunistic scavengers.......cleaner shrimp are the worst offenders here:) I assume you do not have a saltwater tank right now so if you are thinking of setting one up, my suggestion is to read, read, read.......and then read some more. The Contientious Marine Aquarist is a good place to start. Saltwater forums are a great tool for asking and getting questions answered. Premixed saltwater is expensive for sure and I know nothing about actually using it. I mix my own and have found it to be very satisfactory. Water evaporation does occur and daily topoffs with preferably RODI water are a must for reef tanks. It takes time and planning to set up a saltwater reef tank. Don't be in a hurry............that old saying that nothing good happens fast in this hobby is very true. Also have your billfold stocked to the limit.......it's a very expensive hobby!!! Hope this has helped you Randy...........

Your fishy friend,
SJ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store