I got my new 130 gallon... and a whole lot more!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Good call Kumar. Since you have a moment in your life where you have more tanks than you need, take what you have and super filter it. You can use the 55 as a sump without drilling but using it as a sump is a great idea if it fits under the stand.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Good suggestions guys - especially about putting the background on before filling the tank. One of those minor things, often overlooked that can be a pain later.

I went to check out my new apartment last night. Its the first floor of an older house (1930s) with a basement that has rock walls. The joists look older in the basement but my floor itself has been all remodeled.

Pinkey I know you mentioned that is should be ok if its perpendicular to the joist against a weight bearing wall. Doing all sorts of structural engineering reading though and it sounds like it might not be ok... not sure though, this is wayyy out of my field of expertise.

I not be able to set up the 200... might have to go with the 130 and use my 55 as a tank for some other fish. I don't really want to use it as a sump if I don't have to, but I will if it makes sense. I still have a new 36 bow I can also set up.

Setting up a sump just sounds like a pain and I have no experience with it either

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
As said before, find out which way the floor supports run. This will be helpful because you can setup the tank in such a way that the floor supports will hold the weight more evenly. Many people think that these supports will hold the tank indeffinately, even new supports, but thats not true. Your best bet is to look at those supports and make sure they were constructed properly.

I was reading on MonsterFishKeepers and a few people have had a problem with floor supports not being up to par.

After you inspect and feel good with how the supports look, you should set up the tank against an outter wall( weight bearing wall). Those walls were built to withstand most of what mother nature can do.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I completely understand not doing something risky just because some guy on the internet told you it would be fine.

"Hey Landlord, sorry to tell you this but there is a giant hole in your floor and your basement is now a swimming pool. It's OK, though because someone on the internet told me it would work."

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

A quick primer on floor engineering (not as boring as it sounds because it applies directly to aquariums)

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,20315469,00.html

Easy instructions to stiffen the floor supports if they are exposed.

Check other engineering websites and you will come to a conclusion you are happy with.

No matter what you choose to do about the aquarium, good luck and buy a lotto ticket!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store