I Hate Small tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ksterling

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Real Name
Kristin
try seachem 7 regulator, crushed coral, egg shells, tufa rock, ultimately get rid of the ada soil and get something else as it will be a constant battle for you, every time you add water it will spike the ph higher and then it will lower itself again due to the ada, you will continue losing shrimp and why make it harder then it should be? takes away the fun. or get rid of the cherries and get something else that benefits from the lower ph.

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Went out and purchased a liquid pH test kit. Turns out my tap water is not low in ph it is actually right around 8.0-8.2 exceeded the actual pH chart with the liquid test. I bought some pH down and added it to my water changes to get a steady 7.2 in the wc water. has been running at a steady 7.2 for 2 days now.

On the down side, before I found this out my 2 remaining shrimp died overnight :(. I wont be adding anything for a while just to monitor the water to see if it is capable to stay steady at a 7.2 with weekly wc.

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
Are you saying the PH would drop from 8.0 to below 7.0 in a few days? That's crazy.

As was said, I would get rid of the stratum for the plants. It'll be tough to keep the PH at acceptable levels for the shrimp. :(

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
the stratum is Fluval Shrimp stratum. the tap water I would use for wc's is at about a 8. Each water change I do I add pH down to the new water and let it sit, the pH down drops it to about 7.2. With the stratum keeping the pH lowered it has stayed steady at a 7.2

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
I wouldn't go that low for cherry shrimp. I keep mine around 7.6-7.8. Before that they died because their shells weren't hardening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store