I Have Blue-green Algae >.<

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snuffy

Imperius Rex!!!
Dec 11, 2007
Hello guys. I have a sad topic, my 5.5 gallon tank has be invaded by blue-green algae! I read up on it a little and it was stated that blue-green algae is a cyanobacteria not an algae.

Causes include lighting, overfeeding, and low/no water movement. I think I'm guilty of all three... I have a cheap light hood, which I put in 2 10w bulbs and leave on for about 10 hours a day. So I'm assuming that's a lot of really really bright lights for a 5.5 gallon tank... Also I just put in some cherry shrimps in there and they're not really eating but I didn't dig out their leftover foods. And third I had my filter on really low which is a mere trickle of water...

I'm so sad I don't wanna trash and redo my tank!!! Any way I can get rid of this blue-green algae?!?! HELP! :help: I'm going to try to leave my lights off for 3 days and do 30% water changes every other day to see if that'll fix this nasty problem T_T

Tank Specs:

2 Cheap Walmart 10W Bulbs
ADA Amazonian Soil Substrate
6-10 Cherry Shrimps
Java Moss
Christmas Moss
Swords
Cabomba

Sorab

AC Members
Sep 5, 2007
London UK
Do a 50% water change then a complete three day blackout, with the tank not getting a chink of light (cover the tank with refuse sacks and no peeking) followed by another 50% wc and that should see to it. The shrimp and any plants you have will do fine for three days with the blackout.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
Scrap out as much as possible if you have incandescent light change it to the walmant compact florescent bulbs and increase the water flow i had a problem with a 10g I increased the water movement with a small whisper in the tank filter I was only using a sponge filter that cured the problem almost over night.

You should not have to break down the tank at all

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I used two 3-day blackouts on one tank to get rid of it, and EM to kill it in another.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
No, its just unsightly and can smother plants.

snuffy

Imperius Rex!!!
Dec 11, 2007
Ok thanks guys I just water changed and used some Excel. Gonna go blackout now. Thanks for all the advise! <3

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
good luck.

snuffy

Imperius Rex!!!
Dec 11, 2007
Oh yeah what kind of lighting wawtts/gallon should I be having for my 5.5 gallon if it's gonna be a cherry tank with moss?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store