I killed all my fish.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

masterkaw

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
I also agree with Afrocichlid. I had cichlids and I hardly stirred the sand. When I did, I never had a loss. I think there might have been a big parameter change. Maybe temperature or ammonia in the new water or some kind of chemical.

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
QUICK UPDATE

Just wanted to give you all a quick update. I checked with the water department and there weren't any issues with water quality they were aware of. So I'm still not sure what the problem was.

Yesterday I removed about half the sand (down to about 1 1/2 to 2 inches) and gave it a thorough stirring and cleaning. I put the algea eater back in this afternoon and he seems to be doing good. I also put in a dozen malaysian trumpet snails today. I wanted to get some pics but they buried themselves in the sand so quickly, there wasn't much left to photograph. Here's what I did manage to get before they completely disappeared:

I tested the water after doing a 50% change yesterday. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 15 nitrates. pH is around 7.8. Everything seems good and stable.

So my plan is to get 5 or 6 yellow labs tomorrow at a lfs. If everything goes well, I'm going to then order 12 or 13 demasoni from livefishdirect.com.

Any thoughts or concerns about my plans? Feedback is greatly appreciated!!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You have done a great job, cschilly! Your stocking plans are very good, also. Good luck, this time!!! :thm:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds good just keep up with the 12 to 13 demasoni and all should be fine..

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Picked up 5 yellow labs yesterday. They seem to be settling in quite well. They seem so small. I'd gotten to used to the full grown size of the guys I had before. Hopefully I got a good male-female ratio but time will tell.

Here are a couple pics of the new little guys:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Very pretty!!

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Thanks Melody! I've never had labs before, I think I'm going to like them. I have a Hydor jet in the tank and they seem to love swimming in its stream. Really entertaining!

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
How's it coming?
I just did my first water change with the labs in the tank and so far so good. All my readings are where they should be, with the exception of pH. It's around 7.5 but I think that's where it likes to be and the fish seem to adjust to it. The snails are keeping the tank spotless even though I never see them. I use a python to do water changes and thought maybe the water wasn't getting conditioned enough filling it that way. So I picked up some 5 gallon buckets and filled them with Prime premixed and let the buckets sit a few hours. No deaths! And that's a good thing because I ordered 13 demasoni and they'll be here Friday. I'm super stoked!

I'll post some new pics once the demasoni get acclimated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store