I need help with finding a good inexpensive pump to do water changes with.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeremy S

AC Members
Jun 26, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
When do a water change I have to mix my water in our laundry room which is about 38 feet away from my tank so I’m looking for a pump that would be able to pump the mixed water through my python hose to the tank. The total horizontal length is 38 feet and the vertical length is about 4 feet. I would like to try and find the most inexpensive pump that would still be able to do the job adequately. Thanks so much.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
It really comes down to what you consider "adequate" in doing the job. You have a couple of parameters to consider: flow rate and head (distance the water can be lifted by the pump), both of which are interrelated. You may find a smallish pump that has an acceptable GPH rating, but you need to make sure you can find a table that lists GPH at various heads. Then decide how much water you're needing to move and how long you are willing to wait. And remember, the ratings, while helpful, tend to mark the upper limits of what the pump can do.

I use Mag pumps for draining and filling tanks. They can be used submerged or in-line. I get the largest pump I can afford. No complaints with my Mags.

HTH,
Jim

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I posted a similar thread a while back, and received several suggestions. I took the mag pump suggestion due to the economics of it, and couldn't be any happier. Mine pumps water from the bottom of my prep can to the top of my tank (about 6" 3 " ) with no problems. they also list the flow at different head heights so you can make a more informed decision.
Dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store