I need help with my planted aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kika1

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
Necedah,Wisconsin
I started a 65 gallon planted aquarium not thinking my water would be a problem.I live area with high iron content in the water and it goes through a water softener,which I have been putting sodium chloride into. I just learned this is not a good thing for fish or plants.Never gave it a second thought before,til I started a planted tank.My fish,for the most part always seemed OK,with the water.My plants won't grow or are slowly dying. I read somewhere just to use the ground before it goes to the water softener,but then the water will have really high iron in it.I use to live in a place where the water was fine and didn't come from a well.Don't know what to do with my water problem.I don't want to give up on it.I love my fish and my plants.

RBoydIV

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Im no expert, but Iron is good for plants. I know a lot of the ferts i use have iron in them. It helps that are suppose to be red get that color. You can also buy tap water conditioners that will take metals out of the water. Just my 2 cents.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You are correct that it is very common to need to add iron for most plants. It is an essential element for all plants to survive.

Call me strange but I've kept my old Intro to Plant Physiology textbook by Hopkins from college next to my desk for years. I'm actually debating purchasing a newer edition. Here's what it says:

"It is part of the catalytic group for many redox enzymes and it is required for the synthesis of chlorophyll." In other words no iron = no photosynthesis and the plant doesn't make any food.

"Iron is also a constiuent of several oxidase enzymes such as catalase and peroxidase." Both of these are required for the metabolic pathway so the cell can't eat any food without it.

Excess iron can be toxic especially in acidic conditions. The good news is that most dechlorinators like "Prime" contain EDTA. EDTA is short for the sodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. This is a chelating agent. In simple terms a chelating agent is attracted to the iron and surrounds the molecule. This makes it safe for you fish and plants while still having it available for the plant to uptake.

So use the water from before the water softener and be sure to add in a dechlor for the iron.

z.fish.a.holic

AC Members
Nov 8, 2011
Hi, where I live we have well water and we have a water softener as well...I just fill up my water and put the right amount of water conditioner (most of the time) before I put it in the tank. I have a 15 gal low tech planted tank which is flourishing and a recently started 55 gal planted tank with pressurized co2. Everything seems great with fish and plants; I never have checked mineral contents of the water or anything.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Use the water BEFORE the water softener.

Here are some questions for you.

What kind of lighting do you have? To get plants to work having enough and the right kind of lighting is important. For plants Light is life. Its the number one driving factor behind them.

Do you test your water? testing your water is an important thing. It can be a early warning system to avoid trouble. Plants do require food. Nutrients known as Macro and Micro. Iron IS one of them. But you have NPK and CSM+B. So fertilizing or even root tabs can make all the difference. Think about it. if you had no food how would you grow?

What plants do you have? Are they true aquatic? If not they will rot and die if forced to try and be aquatic. Are they Column or Root feeders? This is important as the way a Sword plant gets its food is much different then a stem plant.

There is alot more that plays into it. Even the plant you chose may be a difficult plant that has special needs. Lots and Lots of light... or Low Nitrates. Or what ever the case may be.

Dont worry about the Iron in the water. Just use a good product like Prime or API water conditioner and it will take care of that. let alone the Iron is good for the plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store