I Need Help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
I know a lot about computers and have taken networking and security classes. You need to get a better AV i would personally recommend eset smart security. I would also recommend a new firewall which is comodo firewall. Both of those are excellent programs. Now to get rid of this adware. They can be a pain. Did you try manually uninstalling it? If not please do. If you cant find it in the uninstall reset your browser homepage and search engine. On your computer enter msconfig and go to the startup tab and look for anything suspicious and disable it on startup.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I use the free version of malwarebytes for my spyware/adware security. Spyware and adware are different creatures than viruses and an anti-virus program can't deal with them. I also use the free version of AVG for my anti-virus, these 2 programs work perfectly for me (and many others) but everyone has there favorites. Good luck!

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
I tried manually uninstalling the program. The scans didn't pick it up and It doesn't show up in the "Add/Remove Programs" area. I'm still learning about this whole Internet virus stuff...I'm just a wee padawan, remember. :) I'll look for a system restore option and see what happens.

Apparently she called the Internet provider's tech people to see if they would help her. They tried to download malwarebytes, but it was blocking them. I'll write down the suggestions for the future. Call me a pessimist, but I don't believe it's gone. Thank you so much guys! :)

Oh, and I don't have adware problems on my Mac, Gav. :p

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ugh I remember having trouble with some nasty adware that blocked the downloading of malwarebytes and if this is still blocked the adware is certainly still there. I had to re-name the setup file so the adware did not recognize it as anti-malware protection, dumb programs. Was she able to download the setup file but not run it? If so just rename the file, anything it doesn't matter just make sure you leave the ".exe" at the end and then try running it again.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Oh, and I don't have adware problems on my Mac, Gav. :p

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Nope. Seldom happens. The jerks that write virii and malware tend to focus on those that have the most market share. So, running Internet Explorer is more likely to get you hit with something than running Opera. Running a PC is more likely to get you something nasty than running a Mac. Unfortunately, that's why some Mac users believe that Macs are more secure. Just because you're not targeted as often doesn't mean you're more secure when you *are* targeted.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
First, you need to be able to correctly identify if this is adware or virus. Googeling the name will not only link you to what type of malware you have, but will also show removal links. McAfee, Norton do a large amount of advertising and have shown to be less effective than many lesser known products. Not all antimalware operate using the same engine causing some to be more effective than others. Some like Norton are resource hogs using up memory and/or CPU time.

As pointed out earlier, you must first turn off the system restore option. Next restart the machine in "Safe-mode with networking" (repeatedly pressing F8 during boot will take you there) and then try to access the online scan site for F-Secure and give it permission to run. When finished do a regular restart and see if the problem is gone. Do NOT turn on system restore until the problem has been corrected and normal restarts have taken place. You may need professional on-site or store assistance to clear your problem. It is difficult at best to assist in a forum.

Good Luck.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I run Bit Defender and have never had an issue. I also never use Explorer. When I did I always ended up with issues of computer slowing down. I use Firefox because I am comfortable with it but my techi son highly recommends Google Chrome. He says it takes less memory to run and never has any issues.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I run Bit Defender and have never had an issue. I also never use Explorer. When I did I always ended up with issues of computer slowing down. I use Firefox because I am comfortable with it but my techi son highly recommends Google Chrome. He says it takes less memory to run and never has any issues.
Chrome is awesome. At work, I use Internet Exploder (the number one browser used for downloading other browsers :D) for systems that require it, Chrome for everything else I can get away with. At home, I use Chrome for some stuff (in incognito) and Firefox for others. My wife likes Chrome, and we use some of the same sites (gmail, tthfanfic, bank), so it's easier to to keep incognito on than to expect her to remember to not stay signed in, and then getting myself (or her) all confused because my (her) settings are different. The stuff I keep logged into Firefox are things she doesn't use as much, like Pandora, or things where it doesn't make sense for each of us to have our own log ins, like Amazon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store