I never did crack until...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
I CRACKED MY 150 Watt EBO JAGER HEATER!!!

Sob!

I was draining my sump to do a partial water change, and instead of switching off the power strip where everything is plugged into, I just unplugged the return pump. So anyway, I had my Python in the sump draining away when all of a sudden I heard a sizzle, and a pop... I looked in there and one of my 2 darn near brand new EBO Jager heaters that had been on while out of the water, had a big ole crack in the side!

Is there something I could do (replace the glass)? Or is it toast?

Jeez... what a JIP :mad:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Luca, I think that your heater was shot...and that replacing the glass is not a viable option. I would suggest getting a new heater, as it would be safer for your fish than trying to fix something with broken glass.

I feel your pain--I've shot a heater and a filter that way, but I know much better, and, though an expensive lesson to learn, this was a good lesson to learn.

We all do it--or will do it--the propensity to get things done quickly is a curse to us fishkeepers.

~Matthew

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
So then I guess that bead of silicone I put over the crack wasnt such a good idea? (I havent tried using the heater again though)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Not necessarily a bad thing, but I think that it might have been a waste of time and silicone. I would just pitch the thing.

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
Silicone NOT a good idea. Probably won't withstand the heat, may melt - or worse, burn - letting water directly into the heater while it's running.

Water and electricity just don't mix.

CrohnieBoy

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
Northern Kentucky
REPLY:

You should throw it away; for your safety and the fish's also.

You could also try a titanium or stainless steel heater...

Haven't tried them yet, but my buddy has sworn by the titanium for his reef tank.

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Maybe Ill try a titanium.

The only reason this one broke was due to my stupidity though... Both heaters lie flat on the sump bottom, so they should never be exposed except when I do somthing dumb like I did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store