I think my pleco is dying (or dead by now)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Fin rot? Color changes in plecos is not unexpected, you can often gauge mood in a plec by how closely he's blending with his background. It's possible he was malnourished. Plec's don't live by algae alone, and you do have to feed them wafer and veggie (depending on the species, sometimes, meaty treats or wood) to keep them robust. Malnutrition is usually evident in hollow bellies and sunken eyes.

zanytomato

AC Members
Jul 31, 2007
Vancouver
Hey dark soul... sorry to hear about the plec, and that you're having a rough time otherwise... best wishes...

I've lost two plecos in my tank previously, and they went in a very similar fashion. The first died within 24 hours from the fish store, and could have been sick already, or I could have acclimatized him too quickly. The second, however, lived in my tank for awhile, till suddenly he did the exactly same thing yours did. I traced it to a ph shift... the change in the ph was so stressful for him that that was what did him in. I've finally decided to get another one and so far he seems really well, but I'm nervous.. they seem very sensitive to me. (I don't have anything in my tank that ever goes near him... except for the cories, who just seem to go right past him and he could care less!)

-zt.

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
hmm. Irregardless of if the Beta was responsible I would be against removing him from the tank unless he begins harrassing other fish. I agree though, I really can't imagine a Beta killing a pleco.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
well, his stomach wasnt caved in, it seemed a little sunken when i got him, but only very slightly, and it got better shortly after bringing him home.

My pH has been a steady 7.8 since day one, with only a couple of swings to 8.0 before i had the pleco.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Sorry for your loss and real life tribulations.

I have to agree though, that it seems odd the Betta killed the Pleco. How large was the Plec? I think it's more likely that it was weakened by something else and then picked on.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Wow. What a shame.
Funny how we get attached to the plecos and NOT as attached to the 'beautiful' bettas....especially when they beat up our pleco buddy.

My 7" common plec (avatar) regularly whaps my 6" goldfish upside the head when they to steal his food. Maybe I should send him up to sort out your betta :swear:

...and sometimes weird stuff happens. I found a cory dead in my 40G last week...no apparent reason. he was the smallest and most lively and ate plenty; wasn't picked on.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry for your loss and real life tribulations.

I have to agree though, that it seems odd the Betta killed the Pleco. How large was the Plec? I think it's more likely that it was weakened by something else and then picked on.

3" I think he said...

Sorry to hear about that DarkSoul, sounds like a major bummer, I hope you do find the culprit, if only to prevent it from re-occuring

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
just a quick question, do you have any driftwood in the tank?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
my poor little pleco got the same treatment, but i think i spotted it in time. he was swimming around a little and looked like he could have swim bladder problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store