I want some fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
i fishy cycled in three weeks from scratch.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Whoa. Using fish to cycle a tank is perfectly fine. So in that case you must think feeding live fish to cichlids and other large fish is wrong.
No I'm not against it, it's notmally a quick death. Unlike weeks of having their gills burnt, then just taking them back to the pet store once you've used them- If they are still alive- is wrong when you could do a fishless cycle with the same results.
JMHO

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
I keep the fish i use to cycle.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Unless you're adding cycled filter material from another tank, are possibly using bio-spira, or have some sort of magic wand, you can't fully cycle a tank in 2 weeks. Fish or no fish.

Look, I'm not going to keep arguing merits of fishy vs. fishless cycling with you. People have their preferences and I will never be able to change that.

What I am trying to do is prevent the spread if misinformation like "danios can cycle a tank fine, it won't burn their gills" or "I can cycle a tank with fish in 2 weeks." The facts against these statements are measurable, repeatable, and, well, factual. People can make informed decisions for themselves, but they should do it using true information, not a bunch of opinions presented as truth.
I cycled both of my 55 gallons using fish for two weeks and added all my fish at one time. Still no deaths in either of them. Thank you very much.

Johnnyr

AC Members
Nov 15, 2006
Um...so they survived? That doesent mean they weren't in severe pain or suffering during the cycle, or that they don't now have permenant eye and gill damage.

Let me poke out your eye, rip out a lung, and cut one of your ams off.

Oh, but you'll survive, so its all good, right?

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Um...so they survived? That doesent mean they weren't in severe pain or suffering during the cycle, or that they don't now have permenant eye and gill damage.

Let me poke out your eye, rip out a lung, and cut one of your ams off.

Oh, but you'll survive, so its all good, right?
We are talking about danios and rosy reds, not humans.

Johnnyr

AC Members
Nov 15, 2006
True, but it's a living thing, and it doesn’t deserve to suffer any more then you and I do. Where do people like you draw the line? Dogs? Cats?
Large Mammals?

Why is one living thing's life valued above another's?

Its not as if the fish suffering is unavoidable...if something had to die, between a fish and a human, of course most of the world would choose the human...but the fact that the fish suffering is completely unnecessary negates this.

There is no reason to willingly and knowingly put any living thing though pain and suffering. If you disagree, do us all a favor and don't procreate.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
They can still feel pain, just because they don't tell you it hurts doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt them.

If you are doing daily 50%-75% WCs, have used gravel and filters, then I'd say it's ok to do a fishy cycle, as long as you never see ammonia.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
True, but it's a living thing, and it doesn’t deserve to suffer any more then you and I do. Where do people like you draw the line? Dogs? Cats?
Large Mammals?

Why is one living thing's life valued above another's?

Its not as if the fish suffering is unavoidable...if something had to die, between a fish and a human, of course most of the world would choose the human...but the fact that the fish suffering is completely unnecessary negates this.

There is no reason to willingly and knowingly put any living thing though pain and suffering. If you disagree, do us all a favor and don't procreate.
We are in the cichlid forum. Most tropical fish make good toys and snacks to our american cichlids anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store