I was Thinking...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mozl0v

AC Members
Apr 2, 2007
I have a question ...I was wondering about . how would i go about trying to find a college or university ...In Canada that i could goto , so I can be A person who studies fish and travel to get them etc...and get paid for it .. or any classes i can take to get certificates to open up my sorta own aquaria place..? any suggestions?

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
any school that offers Marine Biology I suppose... then you could use your degree to either set up a company that does what you want... or find a company that does what you want to work for

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
Hey,

A quick search for 'fish related degrees' in google came up with the following:
wildlife science
wildlife/fish biology
aquaculture
aquarium and aquaculture science
fish management and aquaculture

Then, I searched for "canada college search," this is the best one i found

Searched within that for 'fish' and then for 'aquaculture' Both came up with a bunch of results.

This was interesting but was not in canada...

If you are thinking of starting your own business, I would look into a minor in business. It will help you get the loans you will need.

amy

a.k.a. achu
Dec 1, 1999
Austin, TX
Visit site
I once knew a guy who has some kind of fish/biology degree. Spent two years after graduation working for the government by squeezing the eggs out of salmon. He then decided to go back and get a computer science degree.

UpstateNYer

AC Members
Apr 10, 2008
Antwerp, NY 13608
Real Name
Ric Letson
Honestly, I don't really see a marine biology degree doing you all that much good when it comes to running your own business regardless of whether or not it's aquatics related. Also, if you're thinking more along the lines of doing wild harvesting of tropical / ornamental fish it would help some but not all that much.

In a marine biology program you'd learn much more regarding the science behind our oceans. You'd definitely have a good background when it comes to where to find a specific fish, it's native habitat, requirements and breeding behavior are but I also think that most of your classmates and professors would probably frown upon using a marine bio degree to harvest tropical fish.

I'm planning the same sort of thing. Instead of traveling and harvesting the fish I plan on opening a pet store specializing in exotic & aquatic pets and importing breeding stock. Where captive breeding isn't possible I'll import my stock fish. There are a great number of people all over the world that wild harvest or breed fish for export. Personally I'm pursuing an "Individual Studies" degree program concentrating in chemistry, biology & microbiology. My school also offers credit for individual research projects and I plan on doing a couple semester long research projects related to marine / aquarium life. Concurrently I'm also pursuing a one year certificate in small business management in order to give me the basic accounting, legal and organizational skills needed for a small business.

Whether you choose the marine bio route or another degree program I'm sure you'll learn a lot from it. I also think that college is a great way to network. Keep it in mind when you're going through school. Getting on good terms with a microbiology or bacteriology professor may be useful later on when you have an unknown disease wiping out your fish and you want a definitive identification of it done in a lab for example. Never underestimate the usefulness of college prof's even after college is over. ;-)

G'Luck!

Ric

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
I'm seconding Ric's suggestion about the usefulness of college profs and the less-than-useful nature of marine biology. I think something like aquaculture may help though.

Not only that, but when picking a school, if you choose one with degrees that are useful, if not quite right, such as aquaculture and marine biology, you will have more luck creating a self-defined degree because the prof's will be familiar with your topics.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Ichthyologist??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store