Ich, right?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

llamabob

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
www.myspace.com
I am battling what I was sure was ich(I still think it is) but I figured I better check in to make sure. I just got my new fish a week ago and waited patiently for the inevitable onset, as Ive battled it many times before. Sunday I noticed my first few white spots on fins, and started raising the heat. Monday I began salt dosing.

It has exploded and my fish are COVERED. I'm down 2 cardinal tetras, the scarlet gem badis are flashing occasionally but no visible signs of ich(I know they got it).

Im starting to wonder if this is Ich, as I expected it to start dropping off in the next life phase? Picture included, thoughts?

60456_656887405783_57200277_36426921_5803694_n.jpg

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I think it looks like ich as well

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Yeah I agree, it's ich.

You said you battled it many times before, is this always after you get new fish (which is somewhat understandable if your fish store does not keep good water quality), or do you commonly have outbreaks in your tanks? If the latter, then there is something stressing your fish causing them to get it, as in your water parameters are off, since healthy fish will generally fight it off before it takes hold. And do you cycle your tanks before adding fish?

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
hi get some ich treatment ...turn ur tank temperture up..................and do a 50% change

llamabob

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
www.myspace.com
Yeah I agree, it's ich.

You said you battled it many times before, is this always after you get new fish (which is somewhat understandable if your fish store does not keep good water quality), or do you commonly have outbreaks in your tanks? If the latter, then there is something stressing your fish causing them to get it, as in your water parameters are off, since healthy fish will generally fight it off before it takes hold. And do you cycle your tanks before adding fish?
Yes, ich has only been a problem when getting new fish. The tank was cycled 2 weeks before adding the fish, and I'm sure parameter flucuations contributed to the outbreak. Just wanted to make sure it was ich as I've not had a case this bad.

Ill continue with my heat/salt treatment and daily water changes.

Thanks guys.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I have heard that it can get worse before it gets better when using heat treatment...

The only time I have ever had to treat it it was caught REALLY early, but I never saw a increase in spots.

GOOD LUCK!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store