Ich!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Great! Thank you for the advice. We are moving 4 of our bettas into a new tank today, so we will have 4 tanks to work with. I already have a heater in the tank with the goldfish and have started raising the temp. Its pretty hot here in Florida this time of year so the tank hovers around 77 right now. Takes a lot of energy to keep the house cool when its in the mid to upper 90's and the heat index and humidity is outrageous. I think humidity lately hasn't gotten below 80% in weeks.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
okay, we bumped the heat up to 80-81 and put in the salt. do we add more salt after a WC??

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Yes. Add the same amount per gallon as you take out. So, if you take out 5 gallons of water add 5 gallons of water back in but treat those gallons with the same amount of salt as you originally added per gallon initially. I would add it before you put the new water in the tank so you don't shock the fish with the sudden impact of 'fresh' water. But, this time the salted water doesn't need to be added any slower then a regular water change because your fish are already use to it.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I would move any inverts out if possible before treatment. And although they technically can bring ich into the new tank, in the water in their shells, remember that the ich parasite is always in aquarium water - it's constantly present at a very low level. When you have an outbreak due to some weakness in the fish immune system, that's when the parasites begin reproducing out of control and need chemical treatment. So I wouldn't worry too much about taking ich into any other tank with snails.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Thank you, we just moved our betta's into the divided 20g so I now have 4 empty small tanks that I can put the snails into.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store