Ick confusion runs rampant on the Internet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brett The Fishman

AC Members
May 31, 2016
Update Day 5:

No more ick. I currently have zero fish with any visual signs of ick. The last spot detached from the only remaining fish with ick yesterday. In addition, no fish are demonstrating any behavior to make me believe that they have ick which has just not surfaced yet. None of the fish seen to mind the higher temperatures or the salt at this point, although I am still anxious to reduce temps and start removing salt in 9 more days. As a review I have only lost one fish in the very beginning. So I have 13 remaining fish that all appear to be healthy and happy. Including the albino Cory who is salt sensitive and the neons who are temp sensitive. Overall very pleased but still not out of the woods until the 9 more days of treatment are complete.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Great! Its so much easier to treat when you catch it quickly and treat consistently like you have been doing.

Brett The Fishman

AC Members
May 31, 2016
Day 7 and all is still going well. No changes to report. I did another partial water change and gravel vac today. One more week and then I can start bringing water parameters back down to normal.

Brett The Fishman

AC Members
May 31, 2016
Here is a day 11 update.

I did lose a neon on day 8. It was a very strange thing. I fed the fish in the morning. All fish were acting normally and eating fine. When I came home in the afternoon the neon was dead. It was showing no signs of distress or ick. It Is a mystery to me. I did have the two platys flashing on day 8 and 9 but with no ick spots. That has stopped so I am not sure what that was either. So for day 11, all remaining fish are doing great acting normal and eating fine. I have no signs of ick at all. Only 3 more days and then I will begin the process of lowering the temperature and removing the salt. I plan to take this very slowly. I am looking for some advice. Before the outbreak, I kept the tank at 75 degrees. These fish seem to not mind the 85 degree water at all. I was thinking about lowering back down to maybe 77 or 78. Any thoughts?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would not lower the temp or salt concentration till the full cycle. The Neon probably died from the stress of all 3 (High temp, Salt, and the Ich infection).
Go the full course.

Good Luck.

Brett The Fishman

AC Members
May 31, 2016
Well actually I was asking about water temperature after the full course treatment. I have two days left of salt and high temp and then I was wondering should I go back to 75, or maybe just go back down to 77 or 78. Still only lost the one neon but I have to admit I will be happy tomorrow night to start lowering the water temperature and removing salt. Also in the beginning I did lose a black neon as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store