Ick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I honestly don't think it's ich or just ich. the clearest pic looks like he's producing excess slime. also red sore spots are a sign also of Brook. look at the link i provided and make your best judgment as to what you are seeing and treat the fish now, not tomorrow or in a few days, as soon as humanly possible if you want to have any hope of them surviving.

kamoton

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
SC
I honestly don't think it's ich or just ich. the clearest pic looks like he's producing excess slime. also red sore spots are a sign also of Brook. look at the link i provided and make your best judgment as to what you are seeing and treat the fish now, not tomorrow or in a few days, as soon as humanly possible if you want to have any hope of them surviving.
Thanks Mandy...it does seem to be Brook---not good at all for the fish. That would be almost impossible to treat all of them like described in the link. Is there anything that can be added to the tank to kill off the bacteria and not harm the fish? I know the link says they have to be QTed so that the show tank won't have any hosts for the bac to live on, but I don't want to put them into my 110g because I still have healthy fish in there and a baby shark! Then the bac might potentially get in that tank too. I don't think I'd have a container big enough to QT all of the ones that need to be removed. Please throw some ideas at me...I'm freaking out!

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
If one fish has it and more are getting signs of it doesn't that mean they will all get it? I don't know much about Brook so I was wondering that

Also, keep in mind if this is the tank with your dogface (I think its you who has the black dogface, right?) puffers are sensitive to meds

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
my entire tank was wiped out from brook in less than 24 hours other than a radiant wrasse. There are ones that may not get it, but I would be trying to do as much as I could to those that are infected and getting the others out of the tank and monitoring them closely.

I, personally, would be making an emergency trip to walmart or lowed or something and getting a large rubbermaid (or equivalent) tub and getting 'em outta there. That's one thing I have in my "I hope I never have to use this" category, but I still have it in case there is an emergency like this.

kamoton

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
SC
my entire tank was wiped out from brook in less than 24 hours other than a radiant wrasse. There are ones that may not get it, but I would be trying to do as much as I could to those that are infected and getting the others out of the tank and monitoring them closely.

I, personally, would be making an emergency trip to walmart or lowed or something and getting a large rubbermaid (or equivalent) tub and getting 'em outta there. That's one thing I have in my "I hope I never have to use this" category, but I still have it in case there is an emergency like this.

What causes brook...I haven't added anything new? Could they have got it when I transferred them over...maybe from being out of the water for a short period of time or something.

:confused:
I am doing something yall probably aren't going to agree with, but I was desperate. I treated them in the main tank being that there were so many coming down with it. I used the marine melafix that is safe for all marine invertebrates, corals, etc and isn't supposed to deplete the bio-filter!?!?!

I will keep you guys updated on the fish and how this works out...maybe this might be the next best way to treat fish w/o having to go through the hassle of stressign them out by moving them back and forth to a foreign, uncomfortable home. Got my fingers crossed.:headshake2:

Last edited:

kamoton

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
SC
What causes brook...I haven't added anything new? Could they have got it when I transferred them over...maybe from being out of the water for a short period of time or something.

:confused:
I am doing something yall probably aren't going to agree with, but I was desperate. I treated them in the main tank being that there were so many coming down with it. I used the marine melafix that is safe for all marine invertebrates, corals, etc and isn't supposed to deplete the bio-filter!?!?!

I will keep you guys updated on the fish and how this works out...maybe this might be the next best way to treat fish w/o having to go through the hassle of stressign them out by moving them back and forth to a foreign, uncomfortable home. Got my fingers crossed.:headshake2:
If anyone has any comments or experiences as far as treating a FO main tank please let me know. This is a new experience as far as SW diseases and the more I know the better.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
i don't have any comment about treating a DT of any sorts with anything. I don't do it, so no experience. Maybe someone else can help out there.

but, was wondering how are the fish were doing today?

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
doesnt look like ich to me can we have a pic of tang and others?
i would start feeding garlic flakes right away dose vc drops too and soak food in garlic and ginger throw in garlic clove too this boosts immune system and encourages eating.
i had ich in my old tank and it didnt look like that but maybe the tang and others will confirm it. also raise temp in tank this will kill the parasite when they fall off fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store