ID needed for fish caught in Carolinas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No, not for human consumption ;). If a fish is going to be killed, the best thing it can go toward is research--at least that is my opinion as a scientist.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
The Outer Banks are one of my favorite places too. My dad lives down on Ocracoke, so I head out and visit him for a week or so in the summer.
on the conservation aspect, I understand better now, thanks. I really wasn't sure what it was being used for. I'm used to people doing that for no reason, whatsoever.

I love the old Ocracoke. We spend a day down there and used to hit up the shops for local stuff but it's pretty much turned to crap with odd crazy stuff in them, not the local artsy old wooden things. Your dad is a lucky man. :) I've considered looking for a job down for Dare County as a counselor (have my masters degree in it), just would be quite the undertaking moving my animals in the case of a hurricane lol.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Yeah, Dad claims the last few years have seen an influx of less classy beachgoers, probably because of the publicity Ocracoke has gotten lately as a great destination. It was good for his business (he rents bicycles and surfboards to tourists), but he says it wasn't good for the island's atmosphere, which is why he moved there in the first place.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Amphiprion, what sort of research do you do? I'm a fledgeling scientist myself (taking a break between bachelor's and master's right now).

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, I suppose you could call it undergrad research, but I already have my bachelaureate pre-med degree (don't know if I'll pursue that)--so I am basically finishing up an equivalent in marine bio now (though I've been involved with marine biology, etc. for a long, long time). Earlier on, I actually did some research on Thalassia spp. seagrasses and the ecosystems associated with them. The epiphytes and commensals alone are fascinating, IMO. I also did a bit of research with a professor on some aeolid nudibranchs. Much of what I am doing now, though, is for my own enjoyment. I am currently researching the Stichodactylid anemone Heteractis crispa, its reproductive habits, as well as captive breeding potential. This is easy enough, since I have a spawning specimen in my own tank as well as access to several others. I guess, more than anything, it is something I toy around with in my spare time, of which I have little these days. In any case, I'll likely take a bit of a breather myself once I finish up this degree

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Zigman- I feel confident I can get an ID for the fish through the help of the many helpful ichthyologists who also use the internet. Even if I am unable to identify the beast, future users of the collection may be able to. I certainly have had to identify animals left with no (or worse, incorrect) ID's by their collectors; it's just a part of collections work.

Amphiprion- Sounds like loads of fun. I live inland, so my experience with saltwater systems is very very limited. The reproduction and ontogeny of marine inverts is fascinating stuff; our freshwater critters tend to be relatively straightforward.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
The consensus so far on another forum seems to be Atlantic Spadefish, with an intriguing possibility of Tripletail. The little guy is eating frozen daphnia and seems to be settling in well. Pics soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store