Ideal Newbie Setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Excellent! My Lantana and potted geraniums will be the happiest on the block. Also, after speaking to the wife this morning and showing her the dimensions of a 55 gallon on our wall with a tape measure, she agreed to it! So, the 55g is back on.

EDIT: Also, what is the rule on wattage per gallon for heaters? Or do I trust the packages? What if I am shopping online and don't really have a rating, just watts?

Last edited:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Thank so much Arky Lady! That site was very helpful. Also, I am back down to a 37 or 29 gallon tank. The reason? Stands. Stands seem highly overpriced and as I want to set this thing up soonish I don't really have the time to build a nice one. So the plan now is to do the 29g, wait a while, build a good looking 55g, 75g, 90g stand and then pick up a 75 gallon aquarium. The stand I did buy for a 20 long, 29g, 37g is nice. It was a light oak (matches the living room furniture perfectly) and I ordered it from Petco for a reduced price and free shipping. Yeah, 35 pounds and free shippnig, can't beat that! I may still go with a 37, but it depends on how much my LFS marks them up... see posts prior to this about their mark up... over 100% higher than Big Al's online on some things. Ugh. I refuse to pay them that much.

I've another question (I know, when do I not). What sort of impact would 4-6 ghost shrimp have biologically on a tank? Do they produce a lot of ammonia? or are they sort of low bio-load-wise? They're fascinating creatures and in my youth my brother and I used to catch them in a pond near our house.

Oh, another question! Wal-Mart has some tank packages but they have Aqua-Tec HOB filters in them. I've found Tetra Tec filters on some sites... but I know nothing of Aqua-Tec and their reliability or lack thereof. Does anyone have any experience with this brand, or know anything about them? Thanks!

Last edited:

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Ghost shrimp are low bio-load.

I don't like the tetra-tech line of filters, I think they're cheap (quality-wise, not expense wise). That said, I've been running a whisper filter for some time (came with the tank used) and haven't had any problems. Even after my crushed coral mesh bag broke and the impeller got jammed, it still works and makes very little noise, but I wouldn't choose it if I was picking out a filter.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I would recommend avoiding any "kits", especially at Wal-Mart. They generally have lower priced/quality equipment included in them. If you can get your tank locally, then order everything at once from bigals or drsfostersmith or somewhere online, the shipping isn't bad at all and I can usually end up paying less for everything combined than I would have spent locally anyway. I can also get the exact equipment I want rather than settling for whatever I can get locally.

What I have on most of my tanks right now are Penguin or Emperor HOB filters (with bio-wheels) and Ebo Jager heaters. I'm also not buying hoods with any of my new tanks and just getting glass covers and doing my own thing for lighting so I can get more watts for plants.

Oh and I use pool filter sand in most of my tanks. Got a 50lb bag for $10 and I still have some left over. Only time I buy aquarium substrate is when I want onyx sand or something special for planted tanks now that I'm addicted to them :)

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Well, I'd like to plant this tank eventually. Is there a certain substrate to look for aside from sand? I'm interested in low-light, low maintenance, no CO2 injection... you know... lazy and easy, snice it's my first time with aquatic plants.

EDIT: Oh, and I am certainly ordering two Penguin 125s and 2 Ebo-Jager 50W heaters and some other stuff from Big Al's online. I need to find another LFS to check out prices.

Last edited:

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Harlock said:
Well, I'd like to plant this tank eventually. Is there a certain substrate to look for aside from sand? I'm interested in low-light, low maintenance, no CO2 injection... you know... lazy and easy, snice it's my first time with aquatic plants.
Just go with a substrate with semi-spherical shape (I think that's what they call it) and about 3mm diameter, I think that a #2 mesh size is about right, but that's just off the top of my head.
Products like sand blasting grit and pool filter sand are good (REALLY cheap) substrates to go for, even if you weren't planning on planting. I got 80kg for free from a local (well, kinda, it was about a 30 minute drive) quarry. Look in your yellow pages under 'sand' or 'sand blasting' and you should find tons of resources.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Well, I did a little ionvestigating (i.e reading the box) and found out the Aqua-Tech filters in the kits at Wal-Mart are from Marineland. I suppose it's their low-end model and I wasn't planning on using it for the 29 anyway. I may, however, use it on a smaller tank at a later date.

My wife really likes the clown loaches we have looked at, but I keep telling her we'll need a bigger tank for them. I think I sold her on red eye tetras, cherry barbs and gouramis however. I still need to check around for plants. The one pet store here that sells fish and such had some, so I'll check out their prices and selection. I went to plant geek and found some I really liked that were low-light and easy, so I am quite happy. Everything is coming together now. I have everything picked out and ready to buy and order, so I imagine on the Monday after Christmas, I'll be aquiring everything. Thanks so much for the help so far, everyone, you do not know how much I appreciate it and how much more confident I am than when I posted that first day. If I have more questions I'll ask and I'll certainly be around, I like this place!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store