Ideas for a turtle tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Midas

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
Kingston, NewBrunswick, Canada
Thanks for the quick reply Kristina :) I am going to use ceramic tile as my substrate, the filtration is going to be an issue though. I have a fluval 305 but I can't afford anything bigger. Should I be able to get away with this filter if I do frequent water changes?

PS- Nice snake :)

Last edited:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
You also need about 10X filtration on the tank. That means filtration for no less than 750 gallons worth of volume. Kristina
Are you serious Kristina? I don't know about you but I don't have access to purchase the filters Sea World uses. ;)

But I agree, they need more filtration than a tank containing fish. I go with at least 2-3x the filtration. You'll still need to do a few large volume water changes during the week. 50% or more at a time. Contrary to popular belief, turtles are a lot of work to keep happy as you can see.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Yes you need to build a above tank basking platform. There's slot of missinformation saying not to fill tanks all the way for turtles but that depends on species. RES are dominate swimmer they need as much water space as possible.

If you start feeding her right and giving her right water space and proper basking area she will grow some more. You need to also remember since she is a female it will lay eggs.

For substrate pick whatever you can use the ceramic tile that will help on clean up, but with sand it's not really a mess FYI. All my turtle tanks have sand and there crystal clear.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Oh also the 10x filteration that's overkill. In my several years of owning turtles, helping people with purcahsing and informing them on turtles never do I say 10x. Grant it you can do it I mean the more the better but at minium it should be 3x.

Your fluval's will work for now just clean it often.

Edit: for lighting to be specific you need a UVB light and a heat lamp. For heat you can buy a heat lamp or use a normal household bulb as long as it gets to right temperature. Or if you don't want to use 2 lamps you can get a mercury vapor bulb that produces both UVB and heat. Just make sure it's at proper distance or you can burn your turtle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store