Identify this Substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Agree with Inka and Zigman. It's not a substrate... wouldn't recommend you using it as one.

TwoHobbies

AC Members
Jun 26, 2008
With the ada soil, can you crush it into a fine powder with your fingers? I'm trying to figure out if it is a good or bad thing that I can do this.
Yes you can, and it feels like dirt when you crush it. Here is a picture of ADA soil. It is also available in a darker color than I own, but I have never personally seen, or purchased the darker stuff.

IMG_0884.JPG

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I'm still inclined to believe this is the Fluval peat granules since the OP said they bought it from an LFS. Very few LFS suppliers stock ADA products at all. And since the lady there said it was a Hagen product and Fluval is a Hagen brand, it seems more likely that that's what this is.

One thing that might help narrow this down for you, wanabedriver, is check again with the LFS where you bought this and find out if they carry and sell anything else by ADA.

TwoHobbies

AC Members
Jun 26, 2008
Good point Kash, I missed that. I talk to a LOT of shrimp keepers online and don't know any that have been able to purchase ADA at a LFS.

wanabedriver

AC Members
Mar 5, 2010
I'll try give the LFS a call tomorrow and see if I can narrow down what it could be.

Worse comes to worse, what could go wrong if I use filter media as a substrate? Make my water too acidic/soft?

EDIT: I purchased 5 pounds of it... So that would be 4.5 of these. :goldfish:

wanabedriver

AC Members
Mar 5, 2010
Old thread, but since I figured out what it was, I figured might as well post about it.

I went to a LFS, and saw a tank setup with a similar substrate. Turns out, it is Hagen Fluval Stratum.

Only took me four months to figure it out. :rolleyes:

rill2004

AC Members
Nov 19, 2008
Georgia, USA
what did you do with the rest of it?? are your plants liking it? We have only used that eco complete.

wanabedriver

AC Members
Mar 5, 2010
what did you do with the rest of it?? are your plants liking it? We have only used that eco complete.
I just set up the tank, so I am not quite sure if the plants like it yet. However, it got the water super dusty even after a good rinsing; I just had to give it time to settle.

I decided to post because I actually came across a journal where the person set up a Fluval Ebi tank. I believe that is the substrate is the Hagen Fluval Stratum Substrate for Shrimp Aquariums, the same thing as my stuff, only smaller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store