Illinois Waging Chemical War on Asian Carp Tonight

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
you know I do beleive your right now that I think about it. The Suntimes ran a story in the last couple years about it, only reason they stick specficly. Always wanted to try bow-fishing, but since I don't like eating fish I thought it'd be a waste, even if they are a problem species.

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
^^When my dad was little, he used to bow-hunt the carp, or even catch them with his bare hands in Eastern Washington, then he'd bring them home to his mom and she'd slide them under all their plants, even vegetables, and since she loves keeping Orchids, (my grandma) says it's better than store-bought fertilizer. I don't know if they were these Asian carp or not, but it's really aggravating because they always break my fly line when I'm nymphing.

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
Now Minnesota is backing Michigan's lawsuit

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/12/minnesota-ag-keep-asian-carp-out-of-great-lakes.html

Minnesota AG: Keep Asian carp out of Great Lakes

December 28, 2009 11:23 AM

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Minnesota's attorney general is backing the effort to keep Asian carp out of the Great Lakes, saying they threaten her state's commercial and recreational fishing industries.

Lori Swanson filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court today supporting Michigan's request for an injunction to close a Chicago canal that connects Lake Michigan with the Mississippi River basin. The high court is expected to consider it Jan. 8.

Voracious bighead and silver carp from Asia have been migrating up the Mississippi and Illinois rivers and may be within six miles of Lake Michigan.

Swanson notes that Minnesota has 140 miles of Lake Superior shoreline. She says that if Asian carp invade the Great Lakes, they'll gain access to the rivers and tributaries that feed Lake Superior, as well as inland waters.

-- Associated Press

daclozer

AC Members
Apr 20, 2010
THis is a huuuuge problem. There are literally millions of these nasty disgusting carp in the Illinois river. I have taken my john boat through some of the fingers that shoot off of the river and these things have almost filled the boat jumping. There is a specific speed that the motors vibrations drives them crazy and there will be thousands of them jumping at a time. Go to youtube and check out the videos of it. It is shocking. I don't konw what the answer is, but I think the state of Il should have running tournaments every weekend, the most pounds wins. Have some cash prizes. Put some money on the line and there will be hundreds of boats pulling out thousands of these nasty things. Make it open to any kind of fishing, dragging, netting, bow, multiple hooks, etc.. No refs other than dynamite (don't laugh I have seen people use it)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store