illnesses!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiLangeL181

some people do drugs, I do guppys!
Nov 4, 2005
Michigan
so it looks like definate clamped fin in 1 fish and possible finrot in 2 or 3 others. whats the best way to treat them? should I quarantine? how could they have contracted it?

thanks
Laura

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
LiLangeL181 said:
so it looks like definate clamped fin in 1 fish and possible finrot in 2 or 3 others. whats the best way to treat them? should I quarantine? how could they have contracted it?

thanks
Laura
Those are just symptoms of something else, not illnesses in themselves. What are your water parameters, Laura?

Roan

LiLangeL181

some people do drugs, I do guppys!
Nov 4, 2005
Michigan
my parameters are:
nitrate 40 ppm (not great but on its way down)
nitrite 0 ppm
KH 162 ppm
GH 145 ppm
total alkalinity 180 ppm
pH 7.2

Its a 12g planted nano tank. The ony recent change in the tank was that I was out of town for 9 days last week. I hooked a timer up to the light and because Im a softy for my fishies I put in a 4 day feeder to tide them over for a little (I dont remember the brand since I threw away the package). last night I added jungle brand fungus eliminator to try to stop/ slow the fin rot.

also, would it be best to cut off the infected portion of the tails? I dont want to hurt them if there are nerves or something in there but I was under the impression that it was like hair, you cant feel it. the rot is progressing rather quickly, especially in one of my fish, and Im afraid he will lose the entire thing if nothing happens quickly. what do yall think? Ive never heard of anyone doing something like that before but I think it might work (assuming Im right about there not being nerves in the tail).

thanks
Laura

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Usually not a good idea to do any cutting on your own... I'm not sure about the nerves, but it can definately do more harm than good unless you really know what you're doing. Water changes are one of the best treatments for stuff like that IMO, although you may get some suggestions for something more effective. Some people seem to have luck with mela/pimafix, but I think it is mostly snake oil!!! In the future, I would definately skip the auto feeders, most fish will be fine for 9 days, and in such a small tank, its just asking for trouble to use them. If you feel really bad, have someone come and feed them once, but otherwise I would just leave them be

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Daily water changes. Possibly add some salt to the water, much like the ich treatment. Melafix is teatree oil and is supposed to have some health benifits.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Laura,

I don't see an ammonia reading in the list you posted?

As Holly said, definitely do not cut the fish. It's not necessary and IMO it's best left for professionals with larger fish like koi.

As TKOS suggested, fresh water and lots of it. Try changing it out twice a day for a few days.

You can add Pima or Mela to the water if you want. IMO it smells nice :)

I've used it a few times and I've not really sure if it helps, but I've heard of no real instances where it hindered and it didn't hurt my fish either. Sometimes it's the fish keeper that needs a little boost so that they feel they are doing something "medicinal" for the fish. I know it made *me* feel better when I used it ;)

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store