I'm a gramma!! =]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I just got my 10 going about a month ago and probably added the RCS a couple weeks ago (maybe 3?) and now one is preggo! I see little yellow eggs in her tummy area:clap: So exciting. Any advice? It's a 10 with 4 endler fry, 4 amano shrimp, and ~8 RCS. =D

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
I don't know if the endlers might try and eat the babies. As long as you have plenty of plants and hiding places, you should be okay. They produce a good amount of young and they are quite hardy.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
Depends on the temp. of your tank. It can vary. I keep my tank around 76 degrees and i think it takes about 2-4 weeks for my RCS to have it's babies. Of course i can't really tell anymore, because once the population takes off there's always a berried female :p

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
If you keep the shrimp in tropical temps then it usually takes around 28 to 31 days for the eggs to hatch and the female to give birth to live shrimp. Most of mine seem to go almost 28 days on the dot from the time I see them berried to the time I see them no longer berried. If I were you I would make sure you have a LOT of moss and other hiding spaces. Endlers are pigs. They eat everything and they LOVE to pick at things. They will eat every baby shrimp they can find. I was never able to keep my shrimp and endlers together for very long as the endlers like to "taste" the shrimp and aggravate them to death. But, as long as you have some good hiding spots for the babies, you should have some survivors. Some people also like to put some hose or mesh over their filter intake to keep it from sucking up the baby shrimp. Congrats and good luck!

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Yea, my tank is a "tropical" one, kept at 77 degrees. I also forgot to say that there is an oto in there, but sine he's an herbivore I don't have to worry about him as much as the endlers, right? I'm hoping that there are enough babies that the endlers don't pick them all off so a couple make it adulthood. There are a lot of hiding spots, and I have java moss in there that I'm waiting for it to grow in... welp here's to hoping

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
I totally forgot about covering the filter outlet. That is key. I put a sponge over mine. The fun is gravel cleaning and making sure you don't suck up babies. That was a huge pain for me. lol

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Some people also like to put some hose or mesh over their filter intake to keep it from sucking up the baby shrimp. Congrats and good luck!
Yea, I have a pre-filter sponge over the intake tube, and thanks!! Need it

Last edited:

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I totally forgot about covering the filter outlet. That is key. I put a sponge over mine. The fun is gravel cleaning and making sure you don't suck up babies. That was a huge pain for me. lol
Yup, when I bought my amano shrimp 2 babies where thrown in for free and since they were so small I didn't look for them in the bucket when I did a water change and I never saw them again =[. I'll def be on the look out for that

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Sounds like you are all set. The Oto shouldn't bother anything. I don't keep them, but none of my omnivorous fish bother shrimp-lets. As long as you have plenty of hiding spaces I don't think the endlers will pick them all off. Some should make it. =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store