I'm back! Also I need advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Wakins are double tailed common or comet goldfish. They have the same requirements as common goldfish do and grow to the same size. They just have two tail fins. 45 gallon will eventually be way too small for 4 of those guys.

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My dojo is doing great In my 45 gallon he is happy and has plenty of space to swim and on top of tht I have 8 other fish in the tank there all about 7-8 inches at the most when they all grow another 3-4 more inches I have a 55 gallon and if thts not enough I have a 500 gallon :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
My grandparents and my uncle both have GIANT ponds I can move them into once they get bigger. A Dojo will be ok on gravel?

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Yes it will be fine the substrate preferred is sand because the Dojo might scratch his belly but tht rarely happens there really calm fish and are very playful when u put ur fingers in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
I would not recommend a dojo loach for a 45 gallon. They can grow to be a foot long. I'm not sure what a walker goldfish is. Is it a single tail or a fancy? Either way, your tank is pretty well stocked, goldfish need high water volume and lots of space.

A good small bottom dweller that would work in a tank that size and with cold water fish is the bulldog or rubber-lip pleco. I keep one in my 90g with my fancy goldfish. They're pretty shy but once they get used to the other fish and stuff they'll come out and be cute. They like caves. Mine especially loves to hang out in the rock piles. They also like zucchini like bristlenose do, but will eat pretty much anything.
Actually, rubbernose like to be in schools. They also should be in fast-flowing water, which goldfish don't like. I'd suggest having either the cold water loaches or snails.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Actually, rubbernose like to be in schools. They also should be in fast-flowing water, which goldfish don't like. I'd suggest having either the cold water loaches or snails.
Actually, rubberlip plecos are very territorial and having two males in a tank can mean lots of fights to the point of one killing the other. Even having a male and female together can cause friction when they're not breeding, which is very difficult to manage in captivity.

And while they do like cooler, highly oxygenated water, they do not need a fast flowing stream. Frequent water changes (which you should be doing with goldfish anyways) and a decent flow or splash on your return is more than enough to keep them healthy and happy.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Actually, rubberlip plecos are very territorial and having two males in a tank can mean lots of fights to the point of one killing the other. Even having a male and female together can cause friction when they're not breeding, which is very difficult to manage in captivity.

And while they do like cooler, highly oxygenated water, they do not need a fast flowing stream. Frequent water changes (which you should be doing with goldfish anyways) and a decent flow or splash on your return is more than enough to keep them healthy and happy.
Schools of 6-7 is best for them, it keeps them happy and reduces aggression.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
Now, now children. We can fight about pleco requirements on another post lol. I think I'll try Dojo and see what they do! Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store