I'm not liking the top trim too much...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I started stripping the trim and silicone off. By far the hardest part is the top of the glass. Even cleaning off the actual tank seals was easier.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm thinking about just making a center cross brace out of wood that goes over the top of the glass and extends an inch or two down the front and back. This would be instead of making a piece of full trim. Do you guys think this would work? It's supposed to be purely structural, and not at all aesthetic.

MostlyHarmless

AC Members
Jul 17, 2013
I have an older 55g with no center brace. That has 1/2" glass and that sucker doesn't bow at all. The older tanks were built pretty rigid. If you wanted to shore up a glass rod or two across the top would help, or strengthen the seams in the corners with a rod. I would still give it a fill test and see if it bows or not in the garage, you know just in case.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I believe it would work, but I'm just worried about the longevity. I think this tank could possibly just be old, but as I'm taking it apart, I'm starting to lean more towards the homemade side of the spectrum. If it was professionally built, it would probably be fine for a long time, but some of the seams aren't as well lined up as I would expect from a pro.

For bracing and trim, I actually ended up buying some aluminum u-channel and 90 degree trim yesterday. The u-channel is for the top trim, which will include a cross-brace, and the 90 degree is for the bottom to replace the plastic crap. I'm cleaning it up with steel wool to give it a slight brushed appearance, and waxing it for a nice shine. Now I just have to wait for the front glass, which I should get tomorrow, and I have to redo my reef sump today. I can't wait till I finish all this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store