In tank filtration system?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
A canister is probably going to be the simplest out of the box solution.

You could build a filter box inside the tank. I would use glass because it will adhere better with silicone than plexiglass. If you prefer to work with plexiglass, I would build a whole box inside the tank and then hang it or use magnets to keep it at the desired level.

The HMF could be a good option. You can add strips of glass to install them in the back corners and then use water pumps to provide flow.

If looks don't matter a ton, then a "dump filter" - basically a wet dry on top of the tank - is an option.

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
The drilling of most standard aquariums should not be a problem if done correctly for these reasons:

(1) The round shape does not cause any changes to structural integrity in the same way an arch supports a bridge.
Reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_bridge

(2) Most aquariums over 60 gallons has a thicker bottom glass plate than sides
Examples: An aquarium with 1/4" sides will have a 3/8" bottom plate and an aquarium with 3/8" side plates will have a 1/2" bottom plate

(3) Most aquariums are made from float glass. While some are made from tempered glass, this is not common to larger aquariums, as well tempered glass does not have the structural integrity, which is why few manufactures will utilize this type of glass, at least for aquariums much over 60 gallon
Reference:
http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/03/aquarium-silicone.html#diy

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
drilling can be done with the appropriate drill bit.
however, many tank bottoms are tempered glass which cannot be drilled without serious risk of breakage(shattering).
the front, back and sides an many , however, are plate glass and with the appropriate drill bit, can be drilled (with caution).
as mentioned in this case , however, this may not work because of the distance of the tank to the wall.

if you decide to drill please make sure you check the glass on the tanks. ;)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone. I decided to go the sponge filter route. I'm trying to keep this tank build as low cost as possible, so I would prefer the canister, but it just pushes the overall price too high.

I already have an RIO 2100 and 1700, so I think if I put these in the corners with a 4x4 foam column under each, I should be fine for filtration.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get foam/sponges locally? What industry other than aquariums is this stuff used regularly?

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
The cheapest route is if you can find some used. Other than that, I think it is best to bite the bullet and just pay the price for the good stuff. The good news is it should basically last forever.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Like I said, I'm probably going to go the sponge filter route.

Just a question though, for aesthetic purposes, would it work ok to put them inside of an "overflow box"?
As if I installed a built in overflow box, but didn't drill the tank and just put the sponge filters inside the overflows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store