Injured Goldiefish Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

edh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
"Chicagoland"
I have seen feeders with most of their heads missing swim along without much care. it will be fine, goldfish are if nothing else tough survivors.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
So today Goldie is definitely doing better. He is almost acting normal he just looks like crap. lol. Has a very thick slime coating on the left side of his head where he scraped off all the scales. I also noticed that he banged up his tail pretty bad during the whole ordeal and it is looking frayed. :(

So last night I moved the betta into a bowl and let the tank sit for a few hours with some new chemicals and a 50% water change, then moved Goldie from the 50 gallon into the 20 gal. He seems to like the filter in this tank more, as the one in the 50 gallon creates a pretty strong current and that was just pushing him around as he tried to chill out. I went out and got some Melafix and added it to my tank just as you guys suggested. And am also feeding him some medicated fish food which fights against bacterial infections just as a precaution.
So I feel confident to say that I think he will be okay. :D

My pleco on the other hand is rather small only about 4 inches, and has never messed with my goldies before. I'm thinking I will leave him in the 50 gal as he will quickly outgrow the 20, and will just move him if there are any signs that he is causing trouble.
See... so you do have a quarantine tank. You just hadn't realized it yet. ;) I've moved my betta around lots of times. For a few months, he had a whole 40 gallon plant growing tank to himself. Then I bought a small tank and got some fish with it I didn't actually want. They're not nearly as flexible, of course. So the betta is back in his 5 gallon, again. (He probably swears at me now.)

It's good to hear you're taking such good care of the goldie and that he's doing well. They are very hardy fish, but sometimes the littlest thing can start a bad downhill spiral - not because the fish are so fragile in most cases, but that by the time we notice one symptom, they've developed another.

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
So it's been 4 days of treatment for Goldie, and he is doing awesome! His slimecoat is going back to more normal and not looking like boogers hanging off his face. Although his eye isn't looking very good right now, and i'm beginning to think that he might lose it. I don't think it will affect him much though, cause he hasn't even seemed to notice it.

The tips of his tail and fins are turning black, but I am not really concerned cause I have read that that is a sign of healing.

He's pretty much back to his good old self, and should be ready to go back into the other tank in a few days :)

Thanks so much to all you guys for your help.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Glad to hear he's doing better! Clean water is always the key with any open wounds.

I agree with Kashta that you may want to consider finding a new home or a different tank for the pleco. As mentioned, a pleco may live for years without bothering their goldfish tankmates and then suddenly start harassing them, trying to suck on their slime coats. Regardless of that fact, common plecos can grow to over 12 inches and a 50 gallon tank is much too small for one. That is, if you have a common pleco. There are smaller varieties like the bristlenose, but even these are not good goldfish tankmates.

The black is a sign of healing, and you should be happy to see it! It's similar to bruising in humans, a sign of past trauma.

Take care when moving your goldfish between tanks. Unlike human wounds, goldfish wounds heal from the outside in. First a delicate layer of skin forms over the open wound, and the flesh fills in beneath it. If that outer layer is torn open again while the fish is still healing, infection may set in. So if you're moving him, net him carefully and lift him out of the water while rolling him onto his uninjured side. Cradle him in the net on your palm while you carry him to the other tank.

Best of luck! :)

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
So it has been a week and 3 days since Goldie's incident with the decoration, and he is healing wonderfully. His eye looks like it is going to make it!!! yayyy... the "bubble" of slime over his eye is gradually getting smaller... enough so that I can tell that his eye is in one piece underneath it. He has finished his seven days of Melafix. It was really funny when i'd dose the tank he'd go over to the area where i'd pour it and swim right into the stream as i poured it. weirdo. :)

Anywhoo. I fixed the decoration so that nobody else can get inside! stuck some nice pretty rocks into the holes in the tree trunk. (it's a pretty horse drawn cart that's leaning against a tree trunk) which was a stroke of genius!!! I really wanted to put it back in because it was the center piece of my tank. lol

well just thought i'd update!

:D

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
So it has been a week and 3 days since Goldie's incident with the decoration, and he is healing wonderfully. His eye looks like it is going to make it!!! yayyy... the "bubble" of slime over his eye is gradually getting smaller... enough so that I can tell that his eye is in one piece underneath it. He has finished his seven days of Melafix. It was really funny when i'd dose the tank he'd go over to the area where i'd pour it and swim right into the stream as i poured it. weirdo. :)

Anywhoo. I fixed the decoration so that nobody else can get inside! stuck some nice pretty rocks into the holes in the tree trunk. (it's a pretty horse drawn cart that's leaning against a tree trunk) which was a stroke of genius!!! I really wanted to put it back in because it was the center piece of my tank. lol

well just thought i'd update!

:D

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
Just a quick update.
Goldie is doing wonderfully. He has steered clear of any disease or infection and is almost completely healed! The black has completely gone away from his fins and they are whole again not in little shreds. :)
The only part that is taking a little bit longer to heal is his eye, although it does still seem to be healing up nicely. The little "bubble" of slime that was there has gone down dramatically and he's just doing well overall.

I know he can't wait to go back into the other tank with pepper and skid. must be kind of lonely being all by yourself.

But he's a trooper!!! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store