Instant Tea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if Instant tea would be fish safe, I'm going to be getting some wild caught Altum angels, and was wondering if the instant tea could be used to give the tank that "blackwater" effect. As far as ingredients go,all the package says is " 100% Instant tea". The tank is still in the setup process, and a PH drop from tannins wouldn't affect anything as there are no fish in at the moment.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!-AC

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i wouldn't use it. tea has caffeine, which i think you wouldn't want to be putting into a fish tank, and tea is not the same as blackwater extract.

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
I use a whole leaf greet tea as a moisturizer in my frozen fish food. Caution should be taken when using tea's because caffeine is naturally occurring in tea plants.

I would not use tea to create a blackwater effect. The caffeine in the amount of tea needed to perform this feat would be life threatening to the fauna.

Im sure you dont want your fish all hopped up on dope...

All this in my opinion...

-Aaron

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
get yourself some peat moss from the local garden store. much cheaper per pound, and a good natural way to add tannins to the water.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
get yourself some peat moss from the local garden store. much cheaper per pound, and a good natural way to add tannins to the water.
Thanks for the replies guys, As for the peat moss, I have bought 3 separate blocks, and it must be pre-washed or something because I can't get any tannins out of it at all. I did have some a while back that would release tannins like crazy, but can't find any now that do the same.

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
get sera super peat,,, no mess. and get some alder cones from the guy on here selling them...100 for $4...

you could always use leaves... oak,, etc,,, order out of country to get almond leaves!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store