Internal parasites from live food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vombatus

AC Members
How often do fish get internal parasites from live bloodworms or blackworms? Sometimes I see little flatworms (leaches maybe) in the container when I get live food. If I see any I don't let them go into the tank. But I bet I have missed some. Are they potentially dangerous?

I'm just worried because I am treating my elephant nose for internal parasites and I'm wondering if he got them from eating live food in my tank, or if he probably had them before I took him home. I don't know if he is wild-caught but I assume so. I want to know if feeding live food increases the chances of internal parasites. He loves his squirmy wormies much better than he likes the frozen.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Yes, it is possible to get internal parasites from live food, and much less likely they will get in via frozen food... but I feed pond snails all the time and don't have issues. Normally the really bad stuff when dealing with wild caught fish -- my experience is with Green Spotted Puffers, which are all wild caught and notorious for getting internal parasites --was already there when you got them.

I treat my puffer with Praziquel every 6 months or so. Doesn't seem to bother him, and gives me peace of mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store