Introducing wild caught snails into aquarium ? Diseases?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
I am looking to find a snail in a pond near where I live to put in my tropical community aquarium. I live in upstate New York and I know of a certain kind of trapdoor snail that can be found here.

My question is, if I introduce a wild snail could it carry diseases with it that will kill my fish ? (I know not to get junk snails that will invasively breed (per say) so just answer the question at hand.)

Whats your best guess ???

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
In short, yes. Snails can carry parasites and other nasties. I would not put anything local into any of my tanks without harsh QT, but the issue with inverts is that most meds can knock them off.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Also, you need to think about the temperature requirements of the snail. Placing some cold water snails into a tropical temp tank could lead to a weakening of the snail that would cut short its lifespan or could kill the snail outright. It is always best to attempt to reproduce the natural setting as close as possible and a cold-water snail in a tropical tank may be far from ideal. Have you thought about another tank? A cold water native set-up could be awesome!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Wild snails are the intermediate hosts to almost every single nasty parasite that exists in nature. I wont even touch a wild snail if I can avoid it, and I certainly wouldnt risk my fish by putting one in with them. There are so many pretty and cheap tank-raised snails out there, it honestly isnt worth the risk to your fish to save a buck or two.

If you are dead set on the snails in your area and you know that they can tolerate the parameters of your tank, the best thing to do is breed them in their own tank for a few generations while subsequently releasing the adults as each generation is born/hatched by removing the eggs to hatch in a completely different tank, then sterilize the original snail tank and keep alternating as the new generation is born. Most of these parasites dont transfer from snail to snail, they transfer from snail to other creature that eats/comes into contact with the snail. After a few generations of this, you can be reasonably sure the snails are safe and parasite free.

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
Wild snails are the intermediate hosts to almost every single nasty parasite that exists in nature. I wont even touch a wild snail if I can avoid it, and I certainly wouldnt risk my fish by putting one in with them. ...

If you are dead set on the snails in your area and you know that they can tolerate the parameters of your tank, the best thing to do is breed them in their own tank for a few generations while subsequently releasing the adults as each generation is born/hatched by removing the eggs to hatch in a completely different tank, then sterilize the original snail tank and keep alternating as the new generation is born. Most of these parasites dont transfer from snail to snail, they transfer from snail to other creature that eats/comes into contact with the snail. After a few generations of this, you can be reasonably sure the snails are safe and parasite free.
Your right, and good idea btw. I caught and identified the snails as Banded Mystery Snails. I have 4 in quarantine right now, idk i might just let them go its not worth the risk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store