Introduction / 125 Gallon Terrarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
It has been a while since posting in this thread. :thumbsdown:

The Terrarium is now complete!!!! :thumbsup:

My camera is … well … less than my friend. :mad2:

As a result the many changes that have taken place have not been photo-journaled. :(

The 10 Gallon tank I hand in the Terrarium, I have removed, to replace it with a Waterfall. :raspberry:

It has a shallow pond that inhabits only duckweed and over time I am sure algae. The water is heated with a small Hydor heater. This is to keep the humidity high inside the terrarium. Without measuring I’d say it is always at or near 100%.

Because the falls was a retrofit without a complete teardown of the terrarium, the sum is made in a rather odd way.

I took 1 x 4 and made a box which measures about 15 x 24. Lined it with canvas. Then coated it plasti-coat. (This was actually a failure). Then it was coast the marine two part expanding foam colored black (leftover from the background). And I have a water tight “Pond” sump.

Next was the falls: You can see it in the right end of the picture. The end result was only half successful in that while the falls works itself water drains from the system during operation over a 2 hour period. I am not sure if this is from slashing or from a back leak of the rockwork itself.

The fall was constructed from slate paver from Home Depot I used Tile grout as mortar between the layers. After everything was set grout sealer was user over the entire area and allowed to dry.

The water pump is a submersible 178 gph. Rubber line feed the falls and the end is capped and holes are drilled in it like a spray bar. There are only 3 hole as I wanted the falls the be more in the center in case water wanted to travel.

A retaining wall cap stone sets opposite the falls to retain the soil mix.

The pea gravel was placed in the “pond” Along with leftover slate pieces.

Duck weed was seeded.

And we were off and flowing.

I really get a, “WOW!!!”, when people come over. :bling:

I would be glad to answer any questions?

I 'm sorry I don’t have pictures of the build change. I hate my camera. :FIREdevil: I’m working on getting a new one soon. It’s about the $$$$$.

Mission Accomplished!!!

Best wishes,
Wes

Jaelle

AC Members
Sep 16, 2010
Wow, that's really amazing! Super good job! If it were me I would put a lily pad in there and get a couple of very small frogs.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Wow, that's really amazing! Super good job! If it were me I would put a lily pad in there and get a couple of very small frogs.
Well ... I thought about fire belly toads but the water temp is too high.

Thanks for the complement!

Best wishes,
Wes

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Wes, your terrarium looks amazing! I really like the waterfall feature, but the whole thing is fabulous. Your patience and creativity are breathtaking.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Wes, your terrarium looks amazing! I really like the waterfall feature, but the whole thing is fabulous. Your patience and creativity are breathtaking.
Thanks for the comment.

I'll get some shots of the waterfall feature in action soon.

Best wishes,
Wes

VenomR00

AC Members
Oct 3, 2010
Nice tank wes... Just a suggestiong would be to add driftwood and plant broms to that... and I would get some dendrobatids like azureus or lecs for that tank as they don't rely on the water to live... ^^ just ideas mate

Tobaobo Koomi

AC Members
Apr 20, 2010
Colorado
that tank is amazing...very very well done!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store