Iodine and shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I can't remember who mentioned in this group, but a big old thanks goes out to the person that mentioned using Marine Iodine additive in freshwater tanks with ghost and amano shrimp. Ever since I started adding the stuff a month ago, I noticed that my shrimp molt quite often and are much more active.

Last night I actually caught one Amano eating his molt. Mmmmmm.

Anyone with freshwater shrimp or snails should really think about an iodine additive.

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
Be very careful with Iodine. Its possible to poison your tank. I strongly suggest getting a test kit to monitor the levels.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Please, be very careful about adding Iodine if you aren't testing for it. I keep salt water with some inverts that really use a lot of it like xenia. I only need to add a bit about once a month at this point. The frequency has been increasing as of late. The first 6-7 months of this tanks life it really didn't need any additions ," the fist month I followed my lfs stores & manufactures directions :rolleyes: " It had a pretty big population of crabs, shrimp, snails and literally millions of copepods. I know that there has been at least one post on the s.w. boards about a person having major problems with his tank due to a probable overdose. Not flaming you just a warning. Test or have your water tested before you add any trace elements. A lot of times your critters uptake won't quite follow the manufactures recommendations and some can be pretty toxic.
hth
Chris

LittlePuff

LittlePuff
May 18, 2004
Peoria,IL
Visit site
Thank you. I didn't know tests for iodine existed(never done saltwater). Will the test tell me what the good levels of iodine are or do you have an idea?

Kim:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store