iodine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Is there a particular reason why you want to supplement iodine?

There's all kinds of mixed reviews about the benefits (or the lack there of) related to iodine dosing. I tried it myself, but did not see any significant improvement in the health or growth of my soft corals that it was alledgedly suppose to benefit (various Xenia sp. and possibly mushrooms).

Now, I only use iodine (Lugol's solution) to dip new corals, to help remove / kill unwanted hitchhikers.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, all legitimate evidence points toward iodine being an issue. First, it is difficult to control, since it exists in three different forms, which aren't measurable separately. Second, there just isn't any real evidence that things actually use it directly from the water column and this includes crustaceans (which actually try to excrete it as a toxin via molting). The only evidence that does point to iodine would be what is received via the diet. Much of the foods we feed are very rich in iodine and in at least some cases are enough to bring iodine levels to those found in natural seawater on a daily basis (or more). That being said, all I dose and have dosed in a long time are supplements to maintain calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. Those are the main ones that typically have the most effect on most corals.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Smooth: I would only add to what FSN and Amp have said by saying that if you don't test for it don't supplement it. I tried to supplement iodine for a while and did not see any appreciable benefits. I have lots of softies and read that I thought they would benefit.

I now only use it for the new coral/preventative dip.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I agree with everyone else.. I as well tried dosing Iodine in the past with no visual effect either way. I also tested for Iodine with a Salifert test and no matter how little (don't dose for a month) or how much (dose every day for a month) the tests always came back the same... which always said Iodine fell within NSW levels. Either the test didn't test for the type of iodide I was putting in the tank, or what I was dosing had no effect (was just a placebo). I found it just to be a wasted purchase and time consuming to dose when there was no need to do so. This same arguement can be made for Strontium as well. Normal feeding and water changes should be more than enough to replenish lost trace elements.

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
I think most of us have very healthy systems without it. Many seem to use it to get thier xenia to pulse, but I have found with consistant high water quality most do very well without the supplement.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I use seachem reef Iodide. I dose 2 capfuls twice a week in order to keep my tank around 0.04 with a salifert test kit.
I find that if it drops below 0.03 my xenia doesn't expand as much (I have 3 different types) and my boxer shrimp stays hidden for longer after his 4 weekly moults.
With the Iodide at 0.04 he will moult and be out and about a couple of hours later.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
I agree with those who just say dont dose it. Not unless you are going to do what the previous post does. Test it and test it with a very darn good test kit ..which he is.

If you simply just want to keep up with basic supplements. Two Little Fishies C-Balance. Its the only thing I dose my tank with. That is for Calk and Alk to stay in balance. (Also PH buffer) those 3 things I keep in check for my corals.

As mentioned several times I have only heard of people using Iodine to treat corals in a dip. And or Kill red Bugs on SPS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store