Iron and Magnesium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
My plants are starting to turn yellow. I think its iron and magnesium deficiency. I want to know whats the source of iron and magnesium that can be added to the aquarium. Anything from home that can be added to supplement them.

Rex Grigg

Curmudgeon
Are you adding any ferts at all right now?

If not then it's most likely a shortage of macros. Without macros the plants can't process micros.

Iron can be dosed with many products. Magnesium from Epsom Salts. But before you start turning your tank into a chemistry experiment tell us more about your current dosing regimen.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I am adding nothing. I dont even know their names. Its a 18G cycled tank with 3 socolofis and 3 dwarf gouramis all 2 inch long. One group of plants is like star shaped leafs that vary in shape, I think its deformis. And other has small round leaves. Both has think stems.

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
macro nutes are not commonly the problem.....A yellowing plant typically needs nitrogen...Nutrient lockout can be caused buy a number of issues, usually its ph, If u add a good fertilizer with no results i would look at the ph of your tank. Many plants have an optimal ph range, the same as fish.

Rex Grigg

Curmudgeon
Well nitrogen is a macro nutrient. So I really don't understand your statement boostnbuds.

And the vast majority of aquatic plants do just fine in any typical pH found in the home aquarium. And there are few if any pH related nutrient problems that I am aware of.

And don't start quoting hydroponics studies on me because it's comparing apples and weed.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
What should I do?

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
i' be interested to see what the simple explanation for the average fishkeeper is guys....

simple for me is what is the wattage, what is the depth. is Co2 injection used, what ferts are used...

i honestly dont understand macro and micro nutrients and i honestly dont understand how to tell the lux of my bulbs...i do understand the wattage of my bulbs, the capacity of my tank and what ferts i add or dont

and lets not even go there with hydroponics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store