Is it possible to over filter a tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if you use common sense, then no there isnt such a thing.

obviously, if the tank water is moving so fast it looks like a blender, then we may have a problem.

ehimes are great filters, but if your budget is tight after getting the tank, a fluval will be a good choice also.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You can use ten tons of "bio-media" with 400,000 acres of surface area, but your bacteria colony will only be as big as your bio load.

Increased /sSurface area only gives you the ability to expose the impurities to beneficial bacteria quicker, as does higher flow rates. "Multiple Media" baskets are just a gimmick, in general, because by the time you put 4 or 5 different things in the filter, a single one doesn't have any real effective amount.

tdawgbass

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2007
Redding
What do you mean by "multiple media" filters? Are you meaning that becuase I can stack multiple media on top of eachother or do you mean that I can use mutiple types of media in the filter? And why do you say that they are a gimmick?

Thanks,

TDawgbass

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Multiple baskets in a filter are in no way a gimmick. They might not be 'necessary' but to call them a gimmick is ridiculous. You dont have to stuff every basket full of bio-media, I usually fill only 1 basket with bio. The first will always be mechincal in my filters, and sometimes I will break that into more coarse mechincal in the first basket and more fine mechanical in the next basket. Its also convenient to have a spot for chemical media if needed. its also more convient for cleaning to have multiple baskets you can easily remove, one reason I like the Ehiem Pro2's better than the classic series, but thats just my opinion.

tdawgbass - I hope your not spending $400 on a FX5, they can be found nearly half that, and even the Eheim Pro-3's are less than that.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
By gimmick I mean the sales pitch that your tank will be better if you have the 5 basket model vice someones 3 basket model.

In actual use, it is just more parts restricting flow.

Hereford

Easily Amused
Jul 19, 2005
Northern California
You can use ten tons of "bio-media" with 400,000 acres of surface area, but your bacteria colony will only be as big as your bio load.
This should be prominently posted wherever there are tanks. It is not an opinion. -- It's a fact. -- Is it possible to overfilter? Yes and no. Is it possible to replace the media every hour? Yes. -- Is it possible to neglect it for years? Likewise yes.-- Is is possible that one or the other of these actions will eventually impose substantial stress on either the fish or the keeper?

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
The term overfilter crops up now and again but it could mean many things. There is mechinical filtration, do we really need to filter down to 1 micron or less? Porbably not, but is there any harm in doing so? Possibly... such a filter would probably fast clog and need more maintanence. There is bio filtration, and like rbishop says, there will only be a certain amount of bacteria based on the bio load - we could fill up a 50 gallon drum full of bio media but that doesnt mean its going to be full of beneficial bacteria, or be beneficial to our 10g aquarium versus a handfull of media. Having a little extra is called insurance though, incase the bioload were to change. Theres also chemcial filtration. But what a lot of people infer about overfiltration is about the flow rate. There is a limit on how strong a current fish will be happy with, depending on the fish of course, and depending on how that flow is delivered to the tank. So my point is that there are many aspects to 'filtration' and to aks what is too much filtration, well that depends on what your talking about and a few other details... just some food for thought.

And no, the baskets dont make a filter work better, just more convenient. Its not like you have your choice of baskets for the same filter (usually), the bigger filters come with more baskets. I mean look at the Filstars, the number (XP1,2,3,4) is how many baskets there are and each one has a stronger pump. Its not like you can get an XP3 with 1 large basket instead of 3 normal baskets. But no, just the # of baskets doesnt mean much without additional info.

nick2206

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
NO, its not to much filtration. I have a 75g tank with a rena xp4 and two rena smart filters(H.O.B). Just watch out for to much water flow.

l.MetalHead.l

UnRegistered User
May 7, 2006
my 5G has 2 aqua penguin biowheel mini's, i think thats 200GPH, thats 20X a hour, lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store