Is my black molly pregnant or just a balloon belly molly?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erinmcgill16

Registered Member
Apr 11, 2020
Hi all! I have had lots of fish before but mostly pelcos and beta sharks. Recently I got a couple of mollies, and I believed my black molly was pregnant so I switched her to a different tank a week or so ahead of time to prevent the other fish from eating the fries. But it is long past when I thought she’d have them, so I am wondering if she is just a balloon belly molly and not pregnant. Thanks for any advice :)

7EDB014B-02D9-45E9-8E9B-FFBB9D51B787.jpeg

1ADE8DC8-8B54-4E59-91D1-3A0C90D42662.jpeg

F32B45DC-E50C-4C85-A116-9BDE170DC706.jpeg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
She looks pregnant to me. Very squared off.

She will drop when shes ready.

nateyj90

AC Members
Feb 13, 2020
Everett, WA
Since a Molly is a live-bearer, the females will store sperm inside of them for months after the initial mating. This means that almost every female live-bearer you buy, will be pregnant. So even without a male in the tank, people still end up with fry because the fish had mated at the pet store. So there is a very, very high chance that your molly is pregnant, and even after she births this batch of fry, there will be another batch coming soon. Most people with live-bearers simply leave the fry in the main tank, they're food for the bigger fish and only the strongest and smartest will live. Good luck with the fry! Live-bearers are a huge reason people get into the hobby in the first place, they're very entertaining fish.

Reactions: Erinmcgill16

Erinmcgill16

Registered Member
Apr 11, 2020
Since a Molly is a live-bearer, the females will store sperm inside of them for months after the initial mating. This means that almost every female live-bearer you buy, will be pregnant. So even without a male in the tank, people still end up with fry because the fish had mated at the pet store. So there is a very, very high chance that your molly is pregnant, and even after she births this batch of fry, there will be another batch coming soon. Most people with live-bearers simply leave the fry in the main tank, they're food for the bigger fish and only the strongest and smartest will live. Good luck with the fry! Live-bearers are a huge reason people get into the hobby in the first place, they're very entertaining fish.
That’s what I thought! Thanks for replying

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store