Is my sponge filter not enough?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. Figured since it’s a filter question it would belong to equipment.
anyways, I had 10gallon with about 2-3 dozen itty bitty bladder snails. No fish as I am breeding the snails for live food. Was running a hang on back filter with sponge, carbon, and bio balls. Cycle completed and ran beautifully with minimal water changes. Then I bought infested hornwort with planaria that ate entire new generations of my snails. I removed the snails that I could find and treated with fenbendazole. Sanitized tank and filter because I’m ocd and those worms gave me nightmares. No more worms yay. I restarted with a 10 gallon sponge filter with airstone instead of hob to reduce tank noise. Half my bladder snails turned white and died. Now I have maybe a dozen adults and a dozen juveniles. I also added a dozen ramshorn. Sponge has been running 7 weeks. Ammonia and nitrites dropped to zero. Nitrates climbing. All good. Now the reason for my post:
Every 5 days I see faint nitrites. I’ll suck up some snail poop and give 2 gallons fresh water and it drops back to zero. Then exactly 5 days later I’ll see creeping nitrites. All the while the nitrates are increasing like they should. I know I have a cycle just not sure if I have enough space for the nitrite eaters. I have about 2 cups of pea gravel in middle of tank that I took from my fish tank, 2 crushed eggshells, 1/4 cup crushed coral and a cuttle bone, but no decor. Half the bottom is bare. 1/4 of top of tank is cover with hornwort and some splash of tiny 3 leaf floating green plants. Only difference seems to be the sponge filter vs the hob. Should I give it more time? Or does it need more filtration? My water is clear. Tank is clean. But those nitrites got to go. This summer I’ll be traveling for 3 weeks and there won’t be water changes. I don’t want to come back to a swamp

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A sponge bubbler filter is all I ran in my 10gal when I had it going. It was loaded with red cherry shrimp, feeder guppies, java moss, anubia and java fern. I did a 50% weekly water change on the tank and squeezed out the sponge every few weeks.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Nitrate is the end product of the cycle. Live plants will healp with that but you still need to do water changes.

Stem plants or floating plants are your best bet. You will need to have a light on the tank.

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
Nitrates is not the problem. I understand that wc is necessary to remove them. I only mentioned them to prove that there is a cycle. It’s the nitrites slowly rising between weekly water changes. It never quite gets to .25 but it’s there.
thanks for the reassurance freshyfresh. I think I’ll clean the filter when I do wc in a couple days. I thought about adding a second sponge as it came as a 2 pack but I’ll probably just add back the hob if the cycle don’t straighten out in the next couple weeks. My hob is awesome and cycles really fast but it sounds like the Amazon rainforest since the water isn’t to the top leaving space for the snails. My bladder snails really don’t like nitrites at all. They leave the tank at .25. Fishorama said my snails are wimps lol. The ramshorn don’t seem to mind at all.
Anyways, thanks again

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your snails may be wimps, I said it & I might truly mean it, lol, I don't recall.

In a fully cycled tank you should NOT see any nitrite...ever! No fish or inverts like nitrite even at very low levels. The inverts leave because they can, the fish can't...Do more water changes to get nitrite down to 0 ASAP.

I'm sorry I've forgotten you tank's details...can you link back to where we started please? & be careful of the difference between nitrite & nitrAte, they are world's apart in fish & invert health. I know it can be confusing, I am sometimes, or just bad typing...

Reactions: dudley

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Get your water tested somewhere else, as a second opinion. Nitrites are not normal for a a cycled aquarium.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, you need to get accurate tests...& that's just a first step... We really do need know what & how much for everything! Good testing is & how we can help you...we're not just being "picky". The numbers do make a difference...so what are your numbers? We really need to know...

Come on mommy2, we can help but only as much help as you give us with good data...post up your results & we'll help from there...but we need good data...Haven't I (we) said that enough yet?...You can't just skip over important info, we want to know to be able to help you...Give up your data!!

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
Ok ok hold your horses on. Maybe I glossed over some stuff too fast. Basic idea is I have a snail only 10 gallon tank that was fully cycled for maybe 1.5 to 2 months. I then had to reset the whole tank because I bought some planarians with my hornwort. I got the heeby jeebies and tore it apart. This is the second tank I’ve cycled technically third to cycle so I know all the testing and order of operations thanks to twotank and his dedication to educating me. I reset the clean tank with a sponge filter instead of the hob. I went through the ammonia phase and the nitrite phase. Ammonia dropped to zero on week 5 and nitrites dropped to zero on week 6. Nitrates at that time were about 20. We are now on week 9. Every week on wc day I check my fish tank with my api master kit. I’ve been checking ammonia and nitrites every day for the snail tank because of its new cycle. Both tanks are running at 0ammonia 0nitrite and about 10 nitrates. Which is perfect. But the problem is the snail tank doesn’t stay at zero nitrites. It’s not a lot but it’s there. Barely a darker blue than zero but not purple to be .25ppm. This is always on day 5 after wc. Once it dropped itself without me interfering but I usually just go ahead and do wc to protect my snails that start a mass exodus out the tank. Then parameters are spot on again until 5 days later I see creeping nitrites again. If I let it go it never really hits .25 so it’s not rising more. Just has those traces.
I know my tests are good because it’s not my only tank. I know trates are the end product of the cycle and they are removed by wc. But like fishorama said there shouldn’t be any nitrites ever. So why do I see faint readings?
At first I thought my sponge filter wasn’t enough but freshyfresh assured me that it was fine.
My theory is either 1) the cycle is taking longer than average and still needs more time to grow or 2) I need more bb home space. It’s barebottom and no decor. I have sponge filter rated for 10 gallons, regular light that came with lid, and a large growing hornwort plant. Water is clear and tank is clean.
ph7.8 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 but sometimes 0-.25 nitrates 10 gh7 kh6
I haven’t touched the sponge since starting because there are baby snails eating any bits that stick to it and there are eggs all over the base and uplift tube. I’m not sure how to clean it without squishing them. When I do the next wc I plan to just gently swish it in the bucket without squeezing it or them.I wonder also if the baby snails could get all the way inside the sponge and cause problems for the bb. It is a fine grain sponge and bubbles and suction is not impeded at all so don’t really think that’s an issue .

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
Happy to report that it seems to have worked out the cycle on its own. It just needed more time. 51 days to completely cycle with sponge filter in a 10 gallon bare bottom. Nearly 3 months.

Reactions: dougall

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, that's a long time getting cycled there, but sometimes it happens that way. I think I answered your other thread earlier today...busy times for me right now...Sorry I don't have better details ATM

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store