Is Prime supposed to stink? Can it go bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pretender

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Space Coast of Florida
I've only used Tetra Aqua-safe before now, but a coworker gave me a stack of aquarium stuff she doesn't use anymore and it included an unopened bottle of Prime of unknown vintage. (She switched her aquaria to well water, so didn't need the treatment any more.)

Anyway, this stuff reeks! Just wondering if this is normal and if it can go bad. Of course, it's more powerful than Aqua-Safe and Amquel+ - IIRC, you use about 1/5 of it to treat the same amount of water, so I may expect it to have a more potent smell.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Yup - it stinks - but a little goes a long way and it works very well - hehe, I guess that's a fair trade for its odoriferous nature.....

Pretender

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Space Coast of Florida
raymond_h2002 said:
www.seachem.com and search for the faq on prime if you want confirmation.
Duh. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that. It was the first question under the Prime FAQ's, so they must get asked it a lot.

Maybe I just didn't think they'd have an FAQ on "does your product stink to high heaven?"

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If you think Prime stinks you should try Marineland's Bio-Safe. Smells like methane gas....much more pungent than sulfer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store