Is there a tropic fish similar to a rainbow trout?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
It may be illegal in some states but you can also talk to local fish hatcheries to get trout from them
In Virginia possession of trout for any reason other than consumption is illegal. The only reason you can possess live trout from a hatchery is if they are being used to stock a lake/stream, consumption, or for bait.

brook trout live in some pretty nasty conditions.
I would have to disagree that brook trout can live in poor water conditions. Maybe hatchery trout get dumped in some nasty streams, but wild trout need clean water to breed in because the eggs need a lot of oxygen to survive. I would, however, agree that they can live in some pretty tough conditions. Some of the streams with wild trout in them practically dry up in the summer time around here, but somehow the trout make it through.

brown trout though larger I believe inhabit much wider range of areas I have caught them in streams, rivers, lakes and seen them in ponds. They live in some fairly poluted areas as well so must be fairly tough
This is again only somewhat true. Large brown trout often live in lower reaches of streams where other trout couldn't. They basically lie in the deepest part of the pool during the day and then come out at night when it cools off a little to eat minnows or whatever other meaty fare they can find. This is why dusk/the period right after dusk is supposedly the best time to catch large browns. Even though trout CAN live in some water that some people wouldn't suspect, it's not recommended to keep them at the edge of their limits, because this basically is the same as saying, "A goldfish can live in a one gallon bowl, so why not keep one there."

some_guy - Basically, you need to chill out. I live in the mountains. I fish for trout every chance I get, and I have since I was able to hold a fishing pole. I don't know what it's like where you fish, but I do know that trout can live in very cramped conditions. Brook trout, which are the only the only real native trout in Virginia live in streams that you can step across with one step. There are also mountain lakes here where NO water goes in in the summer and NO water comes out, but trout still live in them. Just because you happen to fish for trout doesn't mean you know everything about them. 14 fish all year? :eek: I've caught more than that in one day.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I do a fair bit of fly fishing have since I moved to NC mountains. Grew up in NY state upstate. Cortland NY the famed Cortland fishing pole and reel plant was only an hour from where I lived. I fished on lake ontario which is one nasty lake. I never knew this growing up then swimming and eating fish from it. For years I have gone back and every year I catch Lake trout huge things 4 pounds and up. This is in a lake full of all sorts of chemicals and metals so badly there is a list saying how much of what you can eat each year and not get poisoning. I catch brook trout only near head waters or real cold clear places, Rainbows tend near warmer areas than brook trout, Browns in even more parts of the streams and small rivers. I leave the brook trout and keep the others so I only tend to keep about 10 fish I catch as I like catching the brook trout more. The trout I would think would not be the sort to keep in a aquarium.

But that is not the topic at hand this persons question was trout like I have yet to ascertain does he want a fish that has markings like a trout as in maybe a minnow family fish that looks like a miniature trout? or a fish that has coloring like a trout maybe like a um the name escapes me but I think I have seen a small black lined rainbow fish has simialar but not the same coloring as a rainbow trout..

some_guy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2004
maquoketa, IA
Visit site
a lake has moving water even if ya dont know it, its changing all the time. i have caught 14 trout in a 3 day period and 2 times trout fishing as they have only stocked our trout streams 1 time this year and EVERYBODY AND THEIR DOG GOES THERE, i never said they could not live in a tank, hell, they could live in a 10g but would be VERY unhappy, even in a 55. i know they can live in extreme conditions, i go up to saxon harbor on supirior were my parents used to live and catch A LOT of trout there within a 1/2 hour time period.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
some_guy--your responses are out of line. Please review the TOS information poseted in GCC. I'm locking this thread to prevent it from becoming a flame war.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store