Is there any device that can cure GW algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
I don't have a fish tank, I have a swamp. It looks like ass and I am at wits end trying to fix it. For about a month and a half I was adding calcium carbonate to raise KH & GH, then adding CO2 to lower PH and everything was happy & healthy... including the algae. I thought it would eventually go away, but that has not been the case. The only cure I've found is blackouts, but that's not something I want to do as part of a weekly/monthly routine.

Ph is around 7
KH is around 30ppm
Gh is around 20ppm
amonia is <5ppm

Is there any device, filter or such that will get rid of the green water? Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
johnny

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What plants do you have in there? Why is there detectable ammonia? Lights? Maintenance routine?

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
No ammonia, I have a Custom Sealife 96w PC 8,800k light. My tank is 24" deep so I need all the light I can get. I generally change 50% of the water twice a week (so it isn't so green)

I'm not very good with plant names, but I do know the ulvaseous when I see one ;) Here is a pic of what it looked like AFTER the blackout... it's much greener now (a nice lime color in fact lol):

I don't of course run the air pump still, that was for the blackout.

I just ordered a "DOUBLEHELIX ULTRAVIOLET STERILIZER- 9 WATT" for $71 shipped from bigA's. Hope that helps. I've heard from someone else that might help and the least it will do is keep my water cleaner so I can't really lose.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Add more plants - if you have light and nutrients and insufficient plants, you will have algae. If not free-floating, then attached will come.

Anacharis, hornwort, or water sprite would be my suggestions.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
to much changing water stop for two weeks my nasty 150 claered up soon after I stoped the constant changes to clear up the bloom(eric beats head on wall again)

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
I just added:

Ozelot sword (echinodorus)
2 Red Tiger Lotus (zymphaea zenkeri)
2 Rotala macrandra
1 small patch of Java moss (vesiculari dubyana)

The red really adds nice contrast. My LFS didn't have anacharis and I didn't really like the hornwort or water sprite.

I also added 3 small clown loaches. So I have 4 medium angel's, 3 loaches, 2 SAE's, 5 small otto's and the unknown soldier... a cichlid of some sort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store