is there something wrong with my blackmoor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Water is essentially useless as it does not carry enough colonies of beneficial bacteria to help with the nitrogen cycle process.
i half understand what you mean, i think. could you explain a little further please?
The beneficial bacteria do not reside in the water column. Their colonies are established in substrate and filter media, not the water column thus you are only trying to move the usual dirty water than actually helping with the nitrogen cycle.

Hmmm..Please let me know if it's still difficult to understand.lol My own perspective of word comprehension differs.:D

If possible, ask your friend for an established filter media making sure it is free from pathogens, of course.
the only filter i can use is the one i have now or the one thats coming with the tank?
and i have no idea what you mean about pathogens?!
I mean aside from the filter you have right now, add more established filter media to ensure, whether your test kit is inaccurate or not, that the nitrogen cycle keeps the ammonia and nitrite at bay. Both are toxic to fish in high levels. If your pH is low, then ammonia is not an issue as it turns into ammonium. It will reactivate its toxicity if the pH is increased above 7 but pH is hardly an issue. Focus on making sure your ammonia and nitrite are zero.

When I say pathogens, it entails flukes, parasites, protozoans and Aeromonas bacteria that are responsible for the various illnesses of the fish such as columnaris, finrot, etc. Prevention is the best cure after all.

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
The beneficial bacteria do not reside in the water column. Their colonies are established in substrate and filter media, not the water column thus you are only trying to move the usual dirty water than actually helping with the nitrogen cycle.

Hmmm..Please let me know if it's still difficult to understand.lol My own perspective of word comprehension differs.

i
think i understand now! when i get the new tank on monday there will be a filter in that so i will have 2 then , the one i have now is a fluval 3,im not sure what the one with the tank is just yet!

when you add dechlorinater to the water, is it possible to put in too much?
and my moor that i thought was getting better seems to just be sitting at the bottom of the tank and not doing anything ? :(

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
when you add dechlorinater to the water, is it possible to put in too much?
and my moor that i thought was getting better seems to just be sitting at the bottom of the tank and not doing anything ? :(
I don't think there is any side effect to adding dechlorinator a little too much but this is practically a waste of money in the process. Your goldfish must be bored, NFL, if that's the only fish you have there. They do behave like that when there is no one to interact with. What are the water parameters right now? Perhaps it could also be the culprit, not just lack of social interactions.

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
oh noooo!
the wound is covered in white, which i thought was a good thing ,but its now on his tail on the side that its on?
iv treid to get pictures but the quality of them just isnt good enough to show?

is it worth just taking him to where i got him from and asking them to see whats up with him ?
im starting to worry a lot now that its on his tail too?>

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Given the other symptoms we've seen, I'm almost certain he's developed a bacterial infection called columnaris (Flavobacterium columnare), which is also called flex or cotton wool disease. This is one of the possibilities we've been looking for because it's associated with redness and the presence of ulcers/sores on the body. This is also why I was asking about changes in his slimecoat; i.e., grayness or yellowish color.

There is excellent information about this condition in this thread:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134928

Read through this information, then come back here to post any questions you still have.

Last edited:

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
thanks for your help through this guys , but unfortunatly the fishey died last night :'(

ummmm, i dont know what else to write apart from thank you sooo much for your help through trying to make him better ! xx

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I'm so sorry for your loss, Nat... and wish you nothing but the best of luck with your sweet fish from here on out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store