Is this a female?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The adult males do have much longer pec fins than the females do, but your new pleco has several months of growing and maturing to do yet. Be great if the new one turns out to be a female. They are very pretty plecos! The one thing that still bothers me is that while you will find references on the internet that some females of some ancistrus species will show small facial bristles, it really is very rare and specific to the more uncommonly found plecos. Those lip nubs in your 3rd picture of your new one ..... I don't think you'd find nubs that size on a young female. 3" is around the size the male bristles begin to start showing and growing and the continue to grow very slowly for quite a long time. Even at a year of age you probably won't see full grown bristles yet on a male. And the red marking on the back of the head doesn't show up until the males are a bit more mature. It's a bit difficult to spot on a 3" light colored pleco so would be impossible on a 3" dark colored pleco. There is a body shape difference between the male and female bristlenoses that starts to become apparent around the 3" size. Looking at them from the top down, the males are very slender and tapered all the way to the tail. The females at 3" just begin to show a broader midsection.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Be great if the new one turns out to be a female. They are very pretty plecos!
Luckily for me I know someone who breeds them, and will let me have some more. When I picked up these two he offered me more, but I am hoping this is a pair, and so did not take any others.

Not sure how many I could keep long term in a 29G, but may end up picking up a couple more to try and get a pair.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Managed to get a picture of the belly on the male, tried to get some better pictures but he noticed me and swam away.

pleco 013.jpg pleco 014.jpg

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thought I would revive this instead of creating a new thread... So I was looking in my 55G yesterday where I moved the suspected juvenile male, and when I find him, he looks incredibly fat... so he is either eating really well, or a female? As long as he is not sick, then I am not complaining! The picture is kind of dark as he was under some crypt leaves (which I need to thin out).

I need to get a couple pictures of the ones that I know are female, its pretty obvious when seeing the body shape. The 1m/2f in the 29G appear to be doing fine, I just wish I could get them to eat more than they do.

fish0421 003.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store